Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Time in bottle and refrigeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Germ79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Time in bottle and refrigeration

Howdy, fellow beer lovers! I've been making Midwest kits for awhile and they are turning out fantastic! I currently have 4 different brews in a closet in bottles. Midwest says to keep them in the bottle 2-4 weeks. Here's what I'm wondering though:

They have been carbonating nicely in the closet, though I'm always unsure exactly how to know they're done. What happens if I leave them in there too long? I typically wait 4 weeks and move them to my basement (not on the floor) which is cooler. At that point I sometimes put it immediately into my beer fridge, while other times I store it on a shelf down there.

So, I guess I'm asking about how long to leave it in the bottle before refrigeration and the ramifications of not doing so.

Ok, one last question, really! So beers that are meant to age for a year or two, where would I store them? Upstairs, downstairs? I would assume NOT the fridge?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's no such thing as "too long." You can leave your beer at room temps in bottles for a hundred years or more. Most folks don't have fridges that can hold 48 beers, once carbed we only put a few in the fridge at any given time, and leave the rest alone at room temps...and nothing happens. You go in stores and beer's just sitting around at room temp for however long it takes to be sold, right? Why would you think anything is different with YOUR beer?

For long term storage, in a darker cool place is preferable. Like a cellar, or a cool closet.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Sounds like you're doing it exactly right by waiting 4 weeks then moving them somewhere cooler to continue aging. Sounds like it is also a good place to age your beers for a year or two too.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Quick Reply