Thoughts on using these containers to ferment test batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I found these 1.25 gallon Slimline Water Containers at Wally-World (~$4.50 each) and I am thinking about using 5 of them to ferment small one-gallon beers with different dry-hops. My goal is to learn more about how different dry-hops impact flavor/profile so that I can refine an IPA.

My plan is to do a five gallon boil, split it into equal one-gallon portions, pitch equal volumes of the same yeast slurry and then test different dry-hop additions.

I am also thinking about doing some smaller one-gallon BIAB beers to test some different grain combinations.

What do you all think; if I add a bung and air-lock do you think these will ferment okay? I am a little concerned by the very narrow shape of the containers.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/refrigeratorFreezer?productId=10006448

Thanks for any thoughts.

They'll probably be fine. I've done the same with yeast tests, but I used gallon juice jugs -- they're cheaper and come full of fermentable fluids. ;)

I've had those exact containers before, and I would not recommend them for fermenting without replacing the spigot. In my experience, I had a hell of a time to get the spigot to stop leaking with just water in them, and a fermenting beer would only make things worse.

They are also a little difficult to clean because of the shape, but I think a little OxyClean would take care of that.

That spigot looks pretty much impossible to sanitize.

I would recommend looking for HDPE containers at US Plastics. HDPE is the same material ale pails are made out of, and if they have odd shapes you can fill them with 190*F water to sanitize them completely. They come in a bazillion different types, and they are relatively cheap.

These are very similar to the 2-gallon spring water containers in the grocery store. I've used them before for test batches and just toss them when I'm done.

I found these 1.25 gallon Slimline Water Containers at Wally-World (~$4.50 each) and I am thinking about using 5 of them to ferment small one-gallon beers with different dry-hops. My goal is to learn more about how different dry-hops impact flavor/profile so that I can refine an IPA.

My plan is to do a five gallon boil, split it into equal one-gallon portions, pitch equal volumes of the same yeast slurry and then test different dry-hop additions.

I am also thinking about doing some smaller one-gallon BIAB beers to test some different grain combinations.

What do you all think; if I add a bung and air-lock do you think these will ferment okay? I am a little concerned by the very narrow shape of the containers.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/refrigeratorFreezer?productId=10006448

Thanks for any thoughts.

I posted this info in another thread asking for the same thing.

Look up aquatainers, folda water carriers or vittle vaults, people use them for fermenters all the time, they come in various sizes and shape configurations. The aquatainers are favorties of no chill brewers, you can pour your boiling wort right in to them. Homebrew shops buy up vittle's vaults and add their own airlocks, and spigots and charge even up to 100 bucks for 30 gallon versions.

aquatainer.jpg

51eQTk17%2BgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

foldawatercarriers.jpg

doba23877.jpg

VittlesVaultStackables.jpg

75046p.jpg

The person who's thread I posted in ended up with vittle's vaults.

My longstanding dream is to come up with a homebrew beginners kit for my clueless friends that required zero new equipment. A 1-gallon extract partial boil would fit in most people's existing 5 quart stock pot. Ferment in the 2-gallon water container and bottle in screwtop PET soda bottles. What am I missing?

My longstanding dream is to come up with a homebrew beginners kit for my clueless friends that required zero new equipment. A 1-gallon extract partial boil would fit in most people's existing 5 quart stock pot. Ferment in the 2-gallon water container and bottle in screwtop PET soda bottles. What am I missing?

I think you just invented Mr. Beer.

Latest posts

Back