The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > There's Some Bad Info Going Around

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
From Danstar:

So, do you want to believe some guy on the internet or the company who makes the product?
But fermentis says to aerate with their yeasts. So do you want to believe the makers of Notty, or the makers of us-05?

This is another one of those arguments that probably will never be resolved and will be argued incessantly. And like all the others will have no resolution, so it's stupid to argue, just choose what you believe, and do it.

I was taught to aerate will all yeasts....And I personally don't plan on stopping. It may not be "necessary," but I don't think doing it is harmful either.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Especially since he's taking this from another thread where faulty information is being touted as gospel.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
but I don't think doing it is harmful either.
It isn't and never was presented as such. After many, many batches with dry yeast and never a stalled or incomplete fermentation, coupled with what experts say, I have no doubt.

The problem lies when people blame stalled fermentations on improper aeration, which is complete nonsense.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

there's a good thread about this on the brewing network board
Beer Forum • View topic - Should you oxygenate/aerate dry yeast?

good explanation by Dr. Clayton Cone from Danstar/Lallemand
Aeration and Starter Versus Wort | Danstar Premium Beer Yeasts - The Dry Yeast Advantage

Quote:
Lallemand packs the maximum amount of lipids into the cell wall that is possible during the aerobic production of the yeast at the factory. When you inoculate this yeast into a starter or into the mash, the yeast can double about three time before it runs out of lipids and the growth will stop. There is about 5% lipids in the dry yeast.

In a very general view:

At each doubling it will split the lipids with out making more lipids (no O2). The first split leaves 2.5% for each daughter cell. The second split leaves 1.25% for each daughter cell. The next split leaves 0.63%. This is the low level that stops yeast multiplication. Unless you add O2 the reproduction will stop.

When you produce 3-5% alcohol beer this is no problem. It is when you produce higher alcohol beer or inoculate at a lower rate, that you need to add O2 to produce more yeast and for alcohol tolerance near the end of fermentation. You definitely need added O2 when you reuse the yeast for the next inoculum.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

But fermentis says to aerate with their yeasts. So do you want to believe the makers of Notty, or the makers of us-05?

I was taught to aerate will all yeasts....And I personally don't plan on stopping. It may not be "necessary," but I don't think doing it is harmful either.
A) Nottingham is the best selling dried yeast in the world... just sayin'

B) everyone can do what they want and have their opinion, but the op shouldn't be starting a thread like this (in my opinion, of course)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5985 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
okay, Revvy, I'll bite.

Fermentis recommends to aerate to mix the wort/yeast completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermentis
Aeration is recommended to ensure full mixing of the wort and yeast.
Now, we know the main reasone adequate aeration is needed with liquid yeast is because plenty of oxygen is needed during the initial reproductive phase (which isn't needed with dry yeast pitching rates).

So, while Fermentis may recommend aeration, it certainly isn't to increase oxygen levels; it's solely for mixing of yeast/wort.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillWill View Post
A) Nottingham is the best selling dried yeast in the world... just sayin'
And Fermentis has never had any of their yeasts recalled have they?
(I personally think Notty sucks.)

I'm really not getting into this argument, if you look at what I wrote, I said it's stupid to argue about it. I just was pointing out the different view....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't a person aerate their wort? Just one extra little step to ensure (for me) a good faster fermentation.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
okay, Revvy, I'll bite.

Fermentis recommends to aerate to mix the wort/yeast completely.

Now, we know the main reasone adequate aeration is needed with liquid yeast is because plenty of oxygen is needed during the initial reproductive phase (which isn't needed with dry yeast pitching rates).

So, while Fermentis may recommend aeration, it certainly isn't to increase oxygen levels; it's solely for mixing of yeast/wort.
There's actually a very interesting discussion of all this on pro-brewer about the fact that 2 different companies state different things. Undortunately my computer crashed and I can't find the link, or if it was probrewer or another forum.

Most of the folks in that thread were of the mindset to just do what works for you....I tend to agree.

I just was pointing out that fermentis says one thing and danstar says another.

I agree that the OP need not have jumped the gun and said it was bad advice. It's really like so much brewing stuff, just another opinion.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
You need to better understand yeast life-cycles.

Quick Reply