Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > There's Some Bad Info Going Around
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
MrManifesto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default There's Some Bad Info Going Around

about not needing to aerate dry yeast. This is completely false info and I can just picture noobs taking this in and having a ton of stuck ferments. Let's nip this in the bud! Aerate, people!

__________________
MrManifesto is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
JonK331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,101
Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Good point. All worts should be aerated regardless of type or form of yeast.

__________________
JonK331 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto View Post
about not needing to aerate dry yeast. This is completely false info and I can just picture noobs taking this in and having a ton of stuck ferments. Let's nip this in the bud! Aerate, people!
i'm with ya there, bro! i've been seeing this and another piece of bad info being given to new brewers. the second is that you don't need to make a starter with liquid yeast. i think it's bad for folks to be advising new brewers against proper technique because they can make decent beer without starters and proper aeration.
pitch rates, aeration and fermentation temps are crucial to great beer. i know people make good beer while ignoring these facts, but i think new brewers should be informed that with a few very simple steps, they can make great beer, and not just good beer. big thumbs up to you, MrManifesto! Prost!
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Diver165's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Huntington, WVA
Posts: 532
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I noticed my beer quality improved greatly with aeration and sticking to the proper fermentation temps. I'm just now getting into starters. I'll be picking peoples brains in the days to come.

__________________
Diver165 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,326
Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I got a stir plate for Christmas and can't wait to use it to see what the difference will be. I've made decent beer for what I was expecting so far, but can't wait to throw in proper pitch rate!

__________________
D_Ranged_Eskimo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
JustLooking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 492
Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

From Danstar:

Quote:
I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.
So, do you want to believe some guy on the internet or the company who makes the product?
__________________
JustLooking is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 856
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The leading figure in yeast research in the UK and someone who actually worked for lallemand/danstar on yeast viability told me (and other commercial brewers in a lab session/lecture) specifically NOT to aerate.

But hey, what would they know.

__________________
ChillWill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

For the first three posters, I'm sure you all believe what you say, but to state your beliefs as facts without anything to back them up isn't helping anybody.

-a.

__________________

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Do some research before posting, it is NOT necessary.

Threads like this make me sick.


Just because the majority believe something, that doesn't make it so.

__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Posts: 856
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450
Threads like this make me sick.
Me too! I'm actually a little bit angry that the op is making us out to be people spreading bad information (even though we're using information from the company and scientists) and then he offers no evidence to support his claim that our advice is 'completely false'.

It's actually a little be insulting.
__________________
ChillWill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS