Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is there any good yeast in here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
taa800
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is there any good yeast in here?

I have been reusing my yeast by adding preboiled water to the primary after I rack off the beer and then pouring that into pint jars. I normally see a layer of creamy yeast on top of the sediment after everything has settled. The last time I did this, I don't see that creamy layer. Do you think there is good yeast to use still?

In the picture, the one on the right is what I normally get, and the one on the left is the one I'm questioning. I've been using this method to reuse my yeast and have never had a problem in the past with poor fermentation.

p1010276-medium-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The one on the right looks to have a creamy yeast laye,albe it no too big.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It looks like there may be a tiny bit in the one on the left. However, by the color of the liquid it looks like you are getting a lot of wort in there. I am not sure if this is a problem, but the idea is to get the yeast to go dormant -- ie cold and no food.

You may want to review your technique -- maybe rack more of the wort off, put in more cold pre-boiled liquid, and also let it settle for a bit so you don't get so much trub. For reference, I have attached a photo of one of my yeast containers. I am not sure if any of this is a problem, I am just using my own experience and the yeast washing stickies as a reference.

img00036-20130106-0834.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
taa800
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does the trub hurt it? I've never noticed a problem with mine when I've done this. I don't go through multiple washing cycles like some do. I had someone tell me this is what they did, so I tried it and it's been working for me. I'm just wondering if there's a chance that if I pitch this yeast that no fermentation will take place.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think the trub hurts, but the yeast may not store as long if it does not go dormant.

Make a starter with it before you pitch and you will be certain whether it is good or not.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

The one on the left looks like it may need to continue settling and or be washed again. I've had some that I've had to wash 4 and 5 times to get them to actually separate. Thought about trashing them a couple of times and decided to just stick with it. They all worked out in the end.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

the one on the left looks like it has a thin layer of good yeast....

follow hackwood's advice and/or make a decent starter

Quick Reply