Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Testing long primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #21
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Never gotta convince some folks that a long primary is a good thing to do. I'm just hoping to show it's not a BAD thing to do.

(and some people just seem to have a taste for green beer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #22
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I'm just hoping to show it's not a BAD thing to do.
I thought that THAT was the argument, LoL. And I agree that sometimes you just have to try being different to see if there is good reason as to why everybody is doing it that way, or if they are just following the pack.
That being said, I tend to get out of primary early more because I own 4 carboys and only 2 buckets (don't ask) and because the jump to secondary is my first step of "filtration." I won't nay-say someone for staying in primary the entire time and I look forward to hearing the results!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I guess for my own curiosity, I'm more interested in knowing whether longer than a month in primary is more beneficial. Does there seem to be an optimal time that is > 1 month? Is 1 month just a good compromise?

I am just curious if this delta in time has been tested (vs. the debate of whether or not to keep on primary).

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #24
Conesus_Kid
Recipes 

This, along with the other threads aforementioned, are prompting me to sell my carboys on craigslist and use the proceeds to buy Ale Pails!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #25
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus_Kid View Post
This, along with the other threads aforementioned, are prompting me to sell my carboys on craigslist and use the proceeds to buy Ale Pails!
I am right there with you. After doing some reading on yeast and its stages in fermentation, I am amazed at this little creature. I wish people cleaned up after themselves as much as yeast do. Anyone want to buy some better bottles? I have three going up for sale. Or maybe I will offer them up on the "Pay It Forward" thread.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #26
CHansen6
Recipes 

I have two rather extreme examples that I still need to bottle. I brewed up two batches of belgian tripels in May of 2009, and got really busy with work and ended up moving a few months later, them still in the buckets. I told myself that I'd bottle right after I got settled. The new place didn't have the room to brew, so I kind of lost the drive to bottle as I wouldn't be refilling the pails anytime soon. I moved again, and got into an accident and there they still sit. I opened them a few months ago, and they smelled great.

I did this once before with a german hefe (6 mo). It was very clear, but I kicked up a little yeast with bottling, and they taste good, even still had plenty of phenolics.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts

I never said it was a bad thing to do have the beer in the fermenter for a long period. I am just saying that it is not a better, or the best way to do it as I continually read on this forum. It is just another way to achieve the desired results. I have tight temp control on my ferments and pitch the right amount of high quality yeast and I can get crisp, clean, clear beers that are well fermented and clean of by-products and off flavors in 10-14 days with most ales.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
I never said it was a bad thing to do have the beer in the fermenter for a long period. I am just saying that it is not a better, or the best way to do it as I continually read on this forum. It is just another way to achieve the desired results. I have tight temp control on my ferments and pitch the right amount of high quality yeast and I can get crisp, clean, clear beers that are well fermented and clean of by-products and off flavors in 10-14 days with most ales.
Yadda yadda yadda wank wank wank.....Many of us beg to differ, including John Palmer in the first How to brew..go read those links I so gratiously provided you....Like I said, you haven't "opined" anyhting we haven't alreadt covered ad nauseum...believe what you want, but that doesn't mean what you believe is necessarily right...I believe that I'm thin and supermodels find be mysterious and sexy...but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Victoria Secret Covergirls are eating crackers in my bed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2032 Times on 1461 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Lots of the more experienced brewer on this site have had "perfect" fermentation methods, and yet many of them eventually came to the conclusion that the secondary is a waste of time in most cases and an extended primary improved their beer even more.

I don't think any of these guys are saying that there is only one way, but I have yet to see anyone post that with the proper amount of good yeast, and correct fermentation control, leaving their beer in the primary cause any problems.

What I think they are saying is that what people USED to say about leaving the beer on the yeast is not true any more. There is a lot more information available today about how to pitch good yeast. There is better yeast available. People understand the ENTIRE fermentation and aging process better than they did before. All together, it adds up to "If your practices are proper, there is no reason to take the beer off the yeast. Autolysis is not a problem."

Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Yadda yadda yadda wank wank wank.....Many of us beg to differ, including John Palmer in the first How to brew..go read those links I so gratiously provided you....Like I said, you haven't "opined" anyhting we haven't alreadt covered ad nauseum...believe what you want, but that doesn't mean what you believe is necessarily right...I believe that I'm thin and supermodels find be mysterious and sexy...but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Victoria Secret Covergirls are eating crackers in my bed.

First of all, I was never said that you were wrong for leaving the beer in the fermenter(can we just get off of the whole "primary/secondary" thing? You put your beer in the fermenter and ferment it. There is no need for any such adjectives) for extended periods. What I am saying is that TONS of people ferment their ales for 10-14 days and make great, award winning beer, including most commercial brewers. So when you take this approach

Quote:
Sorry, but have you done it, or are you just "armchair quaterbacking?" As you see in the "apologies to Revvy" thread, a lot of those providing only "opinions" when they try it, tend to jump the fench....

Besides, contests are a great way to tell if this holds true or not...because if a judges doesn't say "tastes like year old rotthing gorilla poop" and instead points out the clarity of the beer, and the crispness of flavor...then it further confirms the merits of doing so....

Anyway, we've heard your arguments before..by many who have come back with a different tune, once they actually try it......

*Yawn*
you are purporting that all these people are not doing it right and the "Revvy" way is the only way. I never said anything about autolysis or dead yeast flavors. I just don't think the extended time left in the fermenter is really necessary if you have done everything else correctly and pitched the right amount of clean, healthy yeast, O2, and controlled ferm temps correctly. They will clean themselves up easily in 14 days if you have done all this right.

Quick Reply