New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Testing long primary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I have fermented beer for about 6 weeks before, just being lazy and have never found a rotten or meaty aroma or flavor. I think I can predict what your results will be like...
I did 5.5 months and the beer is awesome. Except it was my chocolate mole porter, and some of the chili and chocolate aroma has faded, but the beer is still plenty spicy, and crystal clear.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My Celebration Ale clone has to be getting on towards ten weeks on the yeast.

Something about winter in the Midwest makes me feel more like drinking beer than siphoning it into kegs. I'll probably keg sometime this week.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yep, I know lots of us have done long primaries, but still some folks might think of this as cute baby syndrome. It's our beer so we can't smell or taste what's wrong with it. So, I'm going to let the judges decide and post the results.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Yep, I know lots of us have done long primaries, but still some folks might think of this as cute baby syndrome. It's our beer so we can't smell or taste what's wrong with it. So, I'm going to let the judges decide and post the results.
Good idea. Laziness is next to Godliness IMO (Except when it comes to sanitation and cleaning). Bottling or Racking to Secondary should be done when most convenient.

I'm very interested in hearing the results. Thanks

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I've said it over and over, I've been getting honorable mentions and even medals for my beers since the very first batch I did a long primary for several years, that's EXACTLY why I keep doing it. First contest I entered the long primary beer did waaaay better than the one I secondaried, and the comments were, "crystal clear" "Crisp tasting" and the one that nailed it for me, "Jewell Like Appearance."

That was WHY I became an advocate to begin with.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've said it over and over, I've been getting honorable mentions and even medals for my beers since the very first batch I did a long primary for several years, that's EXACTLY why I keep doing it. First contest I entered the long primary beer did waaaay better than the one I secondaried, and the comments were, "crystal clear" "Crisp tasting" and the one that nailed it for me, "Jewell Like Appearance."

That was WHY I became an advocate to begin with.
Yep. That's why I want to do this. Announce before I even bottle that I'm going to enter it and post the comments, word for word. Hopefully convince a few people who just don't believe it's possible.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #17
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts

Winning awards and long primaries are not necessarily related. I have won awards with 1.060+ ales that were in the fermenter for 10 days. The long time sitting there is not really doing anything more for your beer than you have already done by brewing it and fermenting it well. After that long of a time that yeast has long since went to sleep and is not doing anything. I am sure that those same beers would have done well in competition regardless of how long they sat over the yeast. Commercial brewers can brew world class beers(ales) and they are grain to glass in 14-21 days tops even without filtering.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Winning awards and long primaries are not necessarily related. I have won awards with 1.060+ ales that were in the fermenter for 10 days. The long time sitting there is not really doing anything more for your beer than you have already done by brewing it and fermenting it well. After that long of a time that yeast has long since went to sleep and is not doing anything. I am sure that those same beers would have done well in competition regardless of how long they sat over the yeast. Commercial brewers can brew world class beers(ales) and they are grain to glass in 14-21 days tops even without filtering.
You really haven't read any of the bazillian tons of information about this on here have you before forming your opinion. If you think the yeast is asleep during this time you don't understand the fermentation process at all......we've covered this ad nausuem...

Most of your idea have been shot down or discussed eslewhere, including what "commercial breweries do" and why....

Some of your arguments have been covered with actual citations here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/apologies-revvy-212108/index2.html#post2484776

Hell, the whole threads got some info you might want to consider...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/apologies-revvy-212108/index2.html

And here.....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=jamil

Sorry, but have you done it, or are you just "armchair quaterbacking?" As you see in the "apologies to Revvy" thread, a lot of those providing only "opinions" when they try it, tend to jump the fench....

Besides, contests are a great way to tell if this holds true or not...because if a judges doesn't say "tastes like year old rotthing gorilla poop" and instead points out the clarity of the beer, and the crispness of flavor...then it further confirms the merits of doing so....

Anyway, we've heard your arguments before..by many who have come back with a different tune, once they actually try it......

*Yawn*

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #19
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts

LOL,

Revvy, it's amazing that you are still able to go through this conversation without going nuts. The stress isn't good for you.

Hopefully you just have a draft (not a beer draught) and can copy/paste this to keep your sanity.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
LOL,

Revvy, it's amazing that you are still able to go through this conversation without going nuts. The stress isn't good for you.

Hopefully you just have a draft somewhere and copy/paste this to keep your sanity.
You should have read what I REALLY started to say to him....but basically it rang something like "Yadda Yadda Yadda *&@# #@#%^, been there heard that, you're %$#$@@...You know what they say about opinions...they're like ****%$%, 'cause they both hold hot air...neener neener neerner....."

But I refrained....But they are all boring arguments that have been pretty much shot down several hundred times over the last years we've been discussing AND doing this....he can believe that it doesn't do anything, and awards do matter, and we'll keep racking up the medals and morei importantly good comments from judges about these beers....

Quick Reply