Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Testing long primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Testing long primary

Ok, I know this isn't totally scientific because I don't have a control, but it's something.

There are still folks clinging to the concept of autolysis in home brewing and other worries about leaving a beer too long in primary. So, I propose this.

I'm a lazy bastard and I have a beer I brewed in August that's been sitting in primary ever since. It's on my kitchen counter, in a bucket as we speak.

Hey there... we can add to the hysteria. It's been in PLASTIC since August!

So. I'm going to bottle up this beer someday soon when I get off my butt and get around to it. Then, I'm going to send it in as one of my entries for the HBT comp that's coming up in just a short while. Then, I'm going to post the comments I get from all my score sheets in this thead and we'll see if they detect anything that can be blamed on the long time sitting on the yeast cake and/or sitting in plastic all this time.

Not gonna add any yeast at bottling. Not gonna do anything special. Not even going to use oxygen absorbing caps.

Like I said, not totally scientific but maybe revealing nonetheless?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds like a good test to me. Can you post the recipe and category you are entering? Can't wait to hear the results. Just don't name it "Autolysis?" ...

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Don't think I'll reveal that until the end. Just to keep it a totally anonymous beer at the contest. I know the judges won't know which beer is which, but might as well keep it all to myself for now.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just did 5.5 months in a bucket with the Chocolate Mole Porter that I brewed just before the discovery of the heart issues. My plan is similar to yours. But first I'm going to have a couple judges I know socially blind taste it first. Not going to tell them anything about it, just that it is the latest version of the beer I won the bronze on.

My problem with contest enterring it though is since it's category 23...I do know that the chilli has faded in time...I debate about whether to add more chili when boiling my priming soultion, but with everything going on I just decided to get it in the bottles. So I don't think it's the BEST example of my recipe anymore. But I don't think it's got the dreaded autolysis in it either. It tasted very clean when I bottled it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just did 5.5 months in a bucket with the Chocolate Mole Porter that I brewed just before the discovery of the heart issues. My plan is similar to yours. But first I'm going to have a couple judges I know socially blind taste it first. Not going to tell them anything about it, just that it is the latest version of the beer I won the bronze on.

My problem with contest enterring it though is since it's category 23...I do know that the chilli has faded in time...I debate about whether to add more chili when boiling my priming soultion, but with everything going on I just decided to get it in the bottles. So I don't think it's the BEST example of my recipe anymore. But I don't think it's got the dreaded autolysis in it either. It tasted very clean when I bottled it.
Yeah, I don't know if this will win or lose (ok, I lie, I think it'll win. I always think my beers will win!) but it'll be a nice exercise to see what the judges have to say about the beer. They won't know anything about how long it was in primary or how it was brewed. It'll just be another beer with a number on it and they'll record what they taste.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Alright. For the record, I FINALLY bottled this batch tonight. Approximately 5 months in primary. Beer smelled delicious. Beyond that, when I rinsed the yeast cake out of it (very tight, compact yeast cake, BTW) it smelled like a completely normal yeast cake. No rotten meat smell like people say there should be.

I tasted a sample from it and, not surprisingly, it didn't have the green taste I usually have when I taste the sample at bottling.

And it tasted AMAZING.

So, this will be conditioning until the comp and I'll post all notes here as promised.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cant wait to read your comments from the comp.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Steven9026
Recipes 

I'll be watching for the results as well.. Good luck in the comp!!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cool! Thanks for the update!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2125 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

I have fermented beer for about 6 weeks before, just being lazy and have never found a rotten or meaty aroma or flavor. I think I can predict what your results will be like...

Quick Reply