Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Testing Lager w/ Ale yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
pilotdane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Testing Lager w/ Ale yeast

My father wants me to duplicate Aecht Gehlenferla Rauchbier (a lager) that he brought back from Germany. I have only one fermentation fridge and a long list of ales to brew. What's everyone's opinion of bre wwing my test batches using ale yeast to get the amount of smoke malt, color and hops part of the recipe dialed-in?

What ale yeast would be closest to a lager (preferrably a dry yeast to keep costs for these test batches down)?

Will the ale flavors be far enough off from a lager to kill my idea of test batches with ale yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
My father wants me to duplicate Aecht Gehlenferla Rauchbier (a lager) that he brought back from Germany. I have only one fermentation fridge and a long list of ales to brew. What's everyone's opinion of bre wwing my test batches using ale yeast to get the amount of smoke malt, color and hops part of the recipe dialed-in?

What ale yeast would be closest to a lager (preferrably a dry yeast to keep costs for these test batches down)?

Will the ale flavors be far enough off from a lager to kill my idea of test batches with ale yeast?
Wyeast 1007 is supposedly quite close to lager characteristics, especially when fermented at 55-60. However, it is a liquid yeast. US-05 is probably the best dry option, very clean. I bet the beer would be great with either one of those yeasts.

Another option would be a California Common yeast.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. I'll try doing my tests with S-05. I just ordered some a bunch of grains I've never used before. This should be fun.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yep, I agree with Picobrew:
1. Kolsch yeast
2. Steam Beer yeast
3. US-05