Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Test: Temp while fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
GuyBob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Test: Temp while fermenting

I am going brew a partial mash Double IPA today. Can't wait! I've read a lot of threads about temps while fermenting and how it can increase 5-10 degrees. I have a fermenter and a stc-1000 temp controller I built. I usually insulate it and tape to side. Never had problems but I can't help but wonder if the temps are higher. I'm gonna try and run a digital thermometer down into carboy and still tape the controller probe to side. Test it out and share my findings. Anyone care to add if this would cause an issue with fermenting. I would just sanitize the probe. Here's some pics.
Thanks and cheers.

image-4223126714.jpg   image-4227407568.jpg   image-4257708573.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Keep us informed. I'm highly curious to know if there is a huge temp difference

Old 06-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

There are a few other forum members who have done this test in the past. They've reported a difference between the middle of the fermenter and the side of it (with the probe taped and insulated) of about 1*F or so at the active peak of ferment.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've got two batches in my fermentation freezer, with the controller set to 60 for the first couple of days, and I have one batch with US04 and another with US05.

I have the probe taped to the US04 with a piece of memory foam over it.

The US04 is 64 and the US05 is 65.

Post back what you find, but like it was said.. Some people have done it and find that there isn't much difference in the side and the core of the wort.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
HopOnHops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subscribed

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Bassaholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very interesting experiment. Let us know how it works out. Also I was wondering what make/model mini fridge you have and whether or not you had to make any modifications to it. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Look forward to the results too.

I also wonder what would happen if the fermenter was in a water bath? That's what I use and I've heard the temps are about the same. I should test it out myself.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
GuyBob
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Couldn't brew my IPA today. Ended going and seeing Superman(very awesome) my fridge is a Sayno. It's black on the outside sides and silver in the front. I can't get model number but its at least a 4.5 cu ft. I didn't have to make any mods. My 6 gallon better bottle carboy and 6 1/2 primary bucket fun well with a 1 gallon glass jug(I used for blow off) it cost me $50. Got it on Craigslist. I hunted and researched many fridges. I don't have a lot of space so I needed something like this. Works well. Here's a pic with a summer ale menting away. Hope this helps. Ill try see if I can get it but its pretty worn where it was.

image-246429346.jpg  

Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
GuyBob
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBob
Couldn't brew my IPA today. Ended going and seeing Superman(very awesome) my fridge is a Sayno. It's black on the outside sides and silver in the front. I can't get model number but its at least a 4.5 cu ft. I didn't have to make any mods. My 6 gallon better bottle carboy and 6 1/2 primary bucket fun well with a 1 gallon glass jug(I used for blow off) it cost me $50. Got it on Craigslist. I hunted and researched many fridges. I don't have a lot of space so I needed something like this. Works well. Here's a pic with a summer ale menting away. Hope this helps. Ill try see if I can get it but its pretty worn where it was.
Edit: I will report the temp once I get moving. Prob this weekend. I hope

Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you're trying to measure the difference between beer and ambient temp, then consider that you really need to use that same probe to measure both the beer temp and the ambient using a glass of liquid. Comparing this probe to a thermostat setting won't be reliable.

Quick Reply