Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Temps are pretty high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
tanavin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temps are pretty high

Right now my fermenters are 11 degrees above the ambient air temperature.

Beyond all the other BS that went wrong on this beer, I am now dealing with this. I'm using Nottingham Yeast and I know I'll probably have some off flavors (or pretty much guaranteed off flavors).

Here's the question, apart from a fridge what's a great way of bringing down the temp?

Also, is there anything else I can expect from fermenting 11 degrees above the suggested fermentation temp?

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

Water bath... I've seen other people post that with decent results. Locally I typically have the opposite problem so I can't attest to it personally.

Will run for beer...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
tanavin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Swillery
Water bath... I've seen other people post that with decent results. Locally I typically have the opposite problem so I can't attest to it personally.
Thanks, I've been putting some cold packs between the two fermenters, but it hasn't touched the temp. I'm going to throw a couple cold wet towels around them and see if that helps.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
DrDan
Recipes 

I just brewed a batch and had trouble keeping the temp down. I filled up my bathtub with water, threw a t-shirt over my fermenter, and had a fan blowing on it. I froze some bottles of water and threw them in there as well, and now my inside-fermenter temp is reading 66 with an ambient temp of 78.

Water baths are where it's at!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

If the air is dry in Plano right now, the wet towels trick should work. I would recommend pointing a fan or A/C at it and keeping the towels wet (this requires 2-3 wettings per day). I can ferment my ales at 62 this way, and if I chill them before fermenting, I can maintain Cali Commons at 58 for at least a week.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
tanavin
Recipes 

I'm definitely going to have to use the water bath trick. After the main fermentation was finished the temps leveled at 72 (which is still a touch high). I think the damage was already done and moving it to the upstairs bath is too much for me to handle.

I will start my next beers in the water bath though. I always run at the higher cap for yeast temps, and I think this will alleviate a lot of my problems.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply