Temperature and secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is much less important than during primary. If you are secondarying at too high of a temp the hop flavor/aroma will go away sooner, but other than not a whole lot. I leave mine in a secondary at room temp for months all the time.

I noticed a fair bit of difference between a beer that i conditioned at low temps (force carbed in keg at serving temp) compared with the same beer bottle conditioned at room temps. Both were goood. Bottled at room temp seemed to have mellowed out the hops and generally moulded together with the malt flavours more than the kegged beer. I favoured the bottle conditioned brew over the keg but not by much.

Keeping at room temps prior to serving IMO would be better than conditioning/secondary at low temps, just not too high....like consistently above 80 would probably be bad. Mind u i think some styles (like English IPA) benefit to some extent at having higher conditioning temps.

Cheers
:mug:

Back