Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Temperature Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklawmusic View Post
So when people say 'off flavours' what do they mean? Is it something that's going to be terribly noticeable or just kind of like, 'that tastes okay but with a strange twang'?
if you think that "beer is beer" then you may not mind drinking a hot fermented beer. if you've had a hot ferment with an ale yeast you can expect solvent like flavors that will not go away with time. a beer like this i would just dump.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I tend to agree with eastoak. Life's too short to drink bad beer. I would brew another batch and focus on getting your temperatures down. There are many ways of doing this that you can find with a quick search of the forums.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
nicklawmusic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As it's my first batch, I'll ride it out for the sake of going through the process. It's not the end of the world.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
wildactbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I fermented too hot on my first batch and the yeast produced an unintended banana flavor...the smell was almost overpowering and I considered scrapping the batch. Instead I let it sit and age a little while. The resulting beer was actually quite pleasant! i got a few compliments on it too! Moral of the story: Don't assume your batch is ruined unless you get some nasty infection that would make it dangerous to drink. Heck, I think beer/mead/wine were all created originally by mistake right?

I can just hear it now, "Wow, that stuff has been sitting there for a few months...but I am really thirsty...oh what the h***!" LOL

Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
nicklawmusic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to get my head around is whether the quantity of off flavours is directly proportional to the length of time you overheat? Or does it mean that if my fermentation overheats for 30 minutes all the off flavours come out?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklawmusic View Post
Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to get my head around is whether the quantity of off flavours is directly proportional to the length of time you overheat? Or does it mean that if my fermentation overheats for 30 minutes all the off flavours come out?
some where between 12-24 hours is the point of no return depending on the yeast and how hot it gets.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
nicklawmusic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was around 3 hours at 24c (possibly 33c) and 2 at 22c whilst I brought the temperature down.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

If you can get your process down to where you are pitching your yeast at your targeted fermentation temperature, and hold it there, you'll get the flavor profiles that you're looking for from your yeast and you'll eliminate almost, if not all, yeast derived off-flavors. It is easily the best improvement that you can make with your brewery.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
petrolSpice
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
If you can get your process down to where you are pitching your yeast at your targeted fermentation temperature, and hold it there, you'll get the flavor profiles that you're looking for from your yeast and you'll eliminate almost, if not all, yeast derived off-flavors. It is easily the best improvement that you can make with your brewery.
Good point! On my 2nd brew I made darn sure the wort was at the desired fermentation temp before pitching. The yeast was about 10F higher. For my next batch, I'm going to pre-cool my top-off water so I don't have to worry about getting my boil down to room temp which takes forever even with a wort cooler.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I agree with Darwin18, temperature control during the first two or three days is paramount. Longer if possible. I would say yes, that higher temps for the first three day can/will produce unwanted results. I personally know from experience the things that can happen early in the fermentation when temps are too high: hot alcohol taste, buttered popcorn flavor,and nail polish remover smell too. I mostly fixed the problem by leaving the beer in the fermenter for months. The nasty taste was almost gone, and then after bottling a couple more months to rest, I could still taste it, but nobody else seemed to notice.

Quick Reply