Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Temperature Control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Pilotpip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature Control

I have recently aquired a nice old fridge that has more than enough room for a carboy (maybe 2) and decided it would be my fermentation fridge. I need a temperature controller for it but I'm trying to decide which direction to go.

I have no desire to lager at this point. Just make better ales. I don't have a desire to make one, I'd rather just spend the extra $40-60 on one since I don't have to build a chamber as I had budgeted for. Just need opinions on the different models out there.

I know the Analog doesn't have the adjustable temp differential and has a little bigger swing in temp but does this really matter? It takes a lot of energy to raise or lower the temperature of 5 gallons of fluid. Any particular brand choice better? My basement stays in the mid to high sixties in the winter so I'm not sure I need one that can be used with both coolers and heaters but might like the option.

Thanks for the insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

What I suggest is picking up a 110V STC-1000 unit off ebay and installing either in an external box, or better yet, directly into the door or side. They can heat and cool at the same time for when the temp fluctuates a lot and are small and cheap. I've seen them going for under $25 often.

The only downside is that they only display in Celsius. But it's quite easy to print out a conversion table to refer to.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Pilotpip
Recipes 

Cool. Thanks. In my line of work I have to use degrees communist all the time. I'll look into that.

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer at all.

Quick Reply