New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > temp monitor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default temp monitor

I just got a 27 gallon Blichmann Fermenator, its f@*&ing awesome. i am planing to keep it in an upright coke fridge like you find in resturants which should be able to keep the fermenator at least at good ale fermentaion temp. my truble is deciding how to keep a good tab on the temp inside the fermenter.
I could always use one of the better quality aquariam type strips but am not to confident in what the results might be do to the temp of the actuall fermenator stainless and the fridge temp itself. i could also use a thermowell but am not sure if it would reach down low enough into my 20 gallon batches and if it did would it only be taking the temp of the krausen or if I could even get a thermowell that will work with my knew baby in general.
Over all, I couldn't be more in love, just have this one last concern.
thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One of the cheap sticky strip thermometers for carboys would be fine. Stainless steel or any metal for that matter will conduct the inner temp through the metal very well. If you wanted to get fancy you could drill through the stainless and install a dial thermometer with o-rings.

I think I would put the sticky strip on the side and take a good quality lab thermometer and temporarily place it inside the fermenter to do a comparison. In general, glass does not conduct temperatures well at all and metals do so I would think the sticky strip would be good.

Congrats on the new hardware, That's what I want next.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 814 Times on 675 Posts

What are you actually going to use to keep the "Coke fridge" at temperatures appropriate for fermentation?

Many if not most (if not all) external controllers provide a temperature display so if you stick the probe in close contact with the brew you can observe the temperature without opening the fridge...

Cheers!

Quick Reply