Tell me my starter isn't infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't worry, but this starter looks different than the dozen or so others I've done. It started out looking like this:
Stirplate.jpg

(old pic)

Then, about 24 hrs after pitching, it changed to this, rather abruptly:
DSC04200.jpg

It smells fine, but the chunks look odd.

What do you think?

Lumps and Clumps are typical of English Yeast strains, I wouldn't be concerned.

BTW, your thread title is tempting, tell her it isn't anything penicillin couldn't cure.:D

Lumps and Clumps are typical of English Yeast strains, I wouldn't be concerned.

BTW, your thread title is tempting, tell her it isn't anything penicillin couldn't cure.:D

LOL

A few years ago my oldest son and I both had sore throats. My wife took my son to the pediatrician who diagnosed strep throat. He suggested that both my son and I should be on antibiotics. My wife called me at work and said: "I just went to the doctor and he said that you need penicillin." After a few minutes, we both had a good laugh.

I had a starter of 007 that literally stopped by stirplate because it flocculates so much.

totally fine on english strains don't worry.

also, you'll love the yeast because of the super packed yeast cake it leaves!

That is just the hot break material and flocculated yeast coming up from the bottom. Nothing to worry about at all. :)

Back