Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Taking yeast from a starter for future batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
ea1154
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Taking yeast from a starter for future batches?

I am very new to home brewing so keep that in mind. I was wondering if I can take a portion of the yeast starter and put in back in the vile the original yeast came in and store it (up to 3 months) for use in a starter for another batch. how many times could you repeat this cycle before wanting to buy a new yeast culture? I understand all the sanitation and things that would go along with this I am just unsure if the yeast would go bad or taste funny. I usually use about 2/3 cup of extra light DME and about 3 1/2 cups of water with some yeast nutrient in my starter if that matters?

-Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

The way I understand it, you are probably making a starter about the correct size for a single batch of standard gravity wort. You can certainly take some for a vial and put it away for future uses if you'd like - it's a relatively small amount IMO. You should do a comparison from the height in MM of the original vial of settled yeast and your new vial of settled yeast to get a estimation of yeast cells. For instance, if the original had 50 cm of settled yeast (~100 billion cells) and your new vial has 25 cm of settled yeast then you're looking at about 50 billion cells. The next time you use this vial you'll want to build it up to a correct number of yeast cells before pitching - it may take 2 steps next time. Play around with yeastcalc.com to see what kind of yeast populations can be achieved with different starter sizes.

I'm still very new to yeast starters but that's my thoughts on it.

I think a better option, if your beer is 1.060 or less, is to wash the yeast from your primary fermenter for a later batch. Or alternatively, collect half of the yeastcake for pitching into a new batch (assuming your new batch will be ready within 2 days or so).

Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
csmurdock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I save some yeast from starters but here is what I do. Make a bigger starter by a pint. Then sanitize a pint mason jar and fill it for saving. It's just like yeast washing however there is little to no trub present. It's got to be cleaner in my opinion. I have heard to only take a pack of yeast ten generations or else you have to worry about serious mutations.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Yup, read this article, it's a great way to do this and simple!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...-approach.html

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
ea1154 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
ea1154
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I think I'll do a 'two step propagation' on the starter I started yesterday so I have a higher cell count and use the mason jar half full with sterilized water like in the article!

-Eric

Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Yup, read this article, it's a great way to do this and simple!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/...-approach.html
Thanks for posting

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I do this all the time with my bottle harvested yeast. Make a big starter, then pour some off in to a mason jar at high krausen. I'll use this for my next starter and step it up till I have enough to pitch. I'll then wash the yeast cake from each batch into 3 or 4 pint jars,step those up, and have enough for 8 more batches. I'll wash each of those cakes, and put each one into one large quart mason and have a pitchable amount in each of the 8 jars. After that I'll start over again with a fresh harvest.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just started doing this. seems to work well.

Quick Reply