The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Taking the plunge. Open Fermentation. Yes I'm willing to dump a batch.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #51
triskelion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

how'd it turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine turned out fine. The open fermentation worked well, no issues.

I can't say that is was better or worse than my precious hefs because I had to use Wyeast versus the WL that I ususally used and I had poor temp control so I can't call it a true test. I do plan on doing it again when the weather warms up a bit and I can keep it at 70 - 72, though.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #53
DonLiguori
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Additional oxygen and ester production

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
Esters contain two atoms of oxygen, so doing an open fermentation and also maximizing the surface area of the wort to atmospheric oxygen with a very wide vessel would encourage ester formation by allowing plenty of oxygen to be present. CO2 is a terminal product, its oxygen can't be used to create esters. This all makes perfect sense.
I'm not so sure about this, it may be more of a negative feedback response from the carbon dioxide in the finishing beer pressuring the yeast to stop whatever metabolic pathway produces the esters in the first place. Esters form from a carboxylic acid and an alcohol undergoing a condensation reaction. The oxygen itself in the beer/wort wouldn't really be responsible at all for this unless the yeast are fixing the oxygen in some sort of carboxylic acid cycle. I'll look into that and see what we come up with!

Quick Reply