Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Taking Fermenting Wort and putting it into New Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
bierzwinski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

But I use glass carboys... so i don't have a way to do that, except i've thought of just swirling it and dumping into another carboy. I also just drain the beer and dump on top of the yeast left in there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

There was a paper I read about a brewery doing continuous fermentation, by pulling beer off and adding new wort periodically. Very similar to what you want to do, but you only want to do it once. I can't recall if they went into ratio details, but I remember thinking it would be cool to setup an automated gallon at a time continuous setup, just to say I did it.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: found it. Hopefully it pastes correct from phone app.
http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6A.pdf

Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
bierzwinski
Recipes 

cool. send me the link.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
There was a paper I read about a brewery doing continuous fermentation, by pulling beer off and adding new wort periodically. Very similar to what you want to do, but you only want to do it once. I can't recall if they went into ratio details, but I remember thinking it would be cool to setup an automated gallon at a time continuous setup, just to say I did it.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: found it. Hopefully it pastes correct from phone app.
http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6A.pdf
Yep good old Murton Coutts from DB (one of NZ's big 2 who have done some pretty famous things... like trademark "radler")
Anyway getting off topic. Basically the continuos fermentation is similar but completely different to what the OP is doing. It is more like the post where someone suggested syphoning out the trub from under the beer.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
bierzwinski
Recipes 

wow. thanks. i'll look that over. it looks a little beyond my ability at this point.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
SirJoshuaIV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierzwinski View Post
But I use glass carboys... so i don't have a way to do that, except i've thought of just swirling it and dumping into another carboy. I also just drain the beer and dump on top of the yeast left in there.
put your racking cane down into the center of the yeast cake where all the good yeast is, swirl it a little bit to loosen it up, and then suck some of that up. I have done it before and it works very well. It will pull a lot of beer too, so be sure to get enough. I used about 750ml for a 6 gallon batch of 1.067 beer and it was more than enough for a vigorous and quick ferment.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Yeah, my memory of it was a little different. Still cool.

I'd love to see experiments with different yeast at peak fermentation. Take two cups of actively fermenting wort, chill, measure yeast volume. That would give some idea of how much wort would need to be transferred to get proper pitch rates by wort transfer alone. There may be much less in suspension than i think. Lots of variables, but would be cool to try.

Tags
yeast cake, yeast starter

Quick Reply