New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Take a gravity sample from glass carboy w/o exposing your beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Sideways
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default Take a gravity sample from glass carboy w/o exposing your beer

I should probably add more picks for illustration but you guys will get the idea. The carboy cap has two connections; one for blowoff, and one for taking a sample. I attached a piece of tubing to the underside of the carboy cap on the sample tubing that extends to the center of the wort. The small glass container is used to collect the sample. It has three inlets/outlets on the cap. One is not used (clamped closed), one is for beer in, and one is used to apply suction that will transfer the wort into the sample bottle.

The tubing that transfers the sample has two clamps. When you take a sample only open and close those clamps with suction applied so you don’t have wort traveling back down into your beer.

The bucket serves two purposes. First, and foremost, it collects blowoff. Secondly, when a sample is taken air enters the system. Rather than going directly into your carboy it first has to enter the bucket. Be sure to use an “S” style air lock.

Using this method I have been able to take daily samples without having to sanitize equipment beforehand and I don’t risk exposing the beer to infection or oxidation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Ok.....If it floats your boat.

It seems a little overcomplicated and Rube Goldberg-esque for something so simple and innocuous as sticking a sanitized turkey baster or wine theif in the carboy and drawing a sample out. But if it works for you, more power to you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I agree with Revvy. If it works for you, go for it.

IMO taking a sample with a turkey baster is way easier. I also only take a couple of samples, sometimes just one before bottling. So the risk is minimal. Maybe even less than having all that equipment attached for extended periods of time. I also don't like the idea of introducing air to push the sample out.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 3335

I like your ingenuity and it works but I'm too old and lazy to set something like that up. Wine Thief/Turkey Baster a couple of times for me.

The deepest cuts are healed by faith"
Pat Benatar All Fired Up

I ain't got time for make believin'
My time is short, but I'm here to stay
No politics will cure the grievin'
So I choose my life, but I choose it my way

I'm gonna live tooth, fang, and claw
I'm gonna live, and I live my way...
Ted Nugent Tooth, Fang and Claw

Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Jman_01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
I like your ingenuity and it works but I'm too old and lazy to set something like that up. Wine Thief/Turkey Baster a couple of times for me.
X2 on the wine thief. spray with starsan and good to go. Like your idea though, as its different

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Sideways
Recipes 

Well it wouldn't be the first time I've over complicated something in this hobby that I later simplify based on experience and good advice found in this forum. It's all part of the fun. The fridge I use for temp control is located in an environment similar to what you'd expect from an attic so I don't like to risk opening the fermenter. This method eases my mind and after setup takes no longer to grab a sample than using a wine thief. There’s no shortage of others on this site willing to overly complicate an otherwise simple process so I thought I’d share.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

now that's some ingenuity there!

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just take a sample after you pitch your yeast and keep it in a beer bottle. Use it to take a gravity whenever you want and put the sample back in the beer bottle when done. It will ferment the same speed as long as it is the same temp but doesn't matter if it gets infected since you are not returning it to the main fermenter. Your main beer is protected against infection and oxygen.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

I take a reading on brew day and another on bottling day. Do you really do daily tests?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Sideways
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I take a reading on brew day and another on bottling day. Do you really do daily tests?
No, not everyday. After about a week or so I'll take a sample to see where it's at and go from there. I'll take 3 or 4 samples during the entire time its in the primary.

Quick Reply