T58 dry yeast in a tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for yet another tripel question. I brewed one yesterday with OG of 1.083. Rehydrated and double pitched T58 dry yeast. I did my boil a little different which led to a hotter wort being added to my normal cooling technique and left me with wort in upper 70's. I pitched and put directly into swamp cooler which was at 60. I kept her extra cool to try and get the wort down further towards mid to upper 60's. Had ambient swamp cooler temp down to 56 for the first night, and kept there this AM. Had good steady activity in blow off tube this AM. I figured the temp of wort had dropped from it's upper 70 pitch temp to mid 60's by this AM so not worried of any off flavors being produced. I have let ambient rise to 60 which is pretty much where it is now about 27hrs after pitching. Anyone with experience with this strain re: how I should proceed with temp and allowing to rise over next few days?? I'm on paranoid side after working with Nottingham past few batches with how picky that strain is....
Thanks!!

I did my boil a little different which led to a hotter wort being added to my normal cooling technique and left me with wort in upper 70's. I'm on paranoid side after working with Nottingham past few batches with how picky that strain is.... Thanks!![/QUOTE said:
You do realize water/wort boils no hotter then 212 no matter how you boil it?
As for Nottingham it is one of the most versatile yeasts available, how do you find it picky? Finally to answer your question just maintain a constant temp somewhere between 59 to 75. I usually ferment T-58 in the low 70s for my Belgians and I have had great results.

Any yeast that I use, I look up the suggested range and control the wort temperature to the low end of the range. I don't worry about what the ambient temperature is because the only important thing to ambient is what it needs to be to control the wort temperature.

When I use t-58, I pitch at 62, hold there for 24-48 hrs of fermentation, and then rise 2˚F per day. I believe it's the Chimay strain, same as WLP500. I have used it warmer and it has some peppery/clove phenolic notes that I don't like.

When I use t-58, I pitch at 62, hold there for 24-48 hrs of fermentation, and then rise 2˚F per day. I believe it's the Chimay strain, same as WLP500. I have used it warmer and it has some peppery/clove phenolic notes that I don't like.

I raise the temp when using WLP565 but never thought of doing it with T-58. Have you ever done a side by side comparison? (steady temp vs. raising temp)

I raise the temp when using WLP565 but never thought of doing it with T-58. Have you ever done a side by side comparison? (steady temp vs. raising temp)

Haven't seen the need. As far as I know, the only difference would be that it would take longer to finish out if held at 62 the whole time. IIRC all the flavor production occurs during reproduction and initial fermentation.

I do extract and PM so I always add most extract at flame out which helps bring temp down some too. This time I added all extract and sugars with 5min left in boil so my final temp after topping off was not the normal low-mid 60's. From what I have read on here...Nottingham is notorious for throwing off flavors if kept at upper range of "normal"...and many rec'd not allowing it to get above low to mid 60's

Also, I keep bucket in swamp cooler so just keep thermometer in water and figure ferment temp is 5-7 deg's warmer.

Back