T-58 for bottling a Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I've got a Barleywine that is around 12% abv.

I was going to bottle it tomorrow.

I have a packet of T-58 in my fridge. Supposedly it is good for bottling and has a tolerance up to 11%.

Should I go ahead and use this, or should I run to the hbs to get a pack of EC-1118 champaign yeast?

Also, how much yeast should I use.. half a pack?

Also, my OG was 1.108 and the FG was 1.026.

Am I going to get a bottle bomb?

btw, here's the recipe:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal

13.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 92.86 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.75 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 47.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale US-05 Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.108 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.026 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.24 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.79 %
Bitterness: 52.0 IBU

I wouldn't add a different yeast. I assume you'll be patient enough to let this age 6 months or more. If so, there should be plenty in suspension. You'll just need to give it time and keep it warm for longer than normal for bottle conditioning. If you're planning to drink young, then adding yeast is a good idea, but I'd make a starter and pitch it while active. Considering where you landed relative to your target FG, I would not expect bottle bombs. Also consider that barley wines aren't normally highly carbonated when determining priming sugar amount.

I wouldn't add a different yeast. I assume you'll be patient enough to let this age 6 months or more. If so, there should be plenty in suspension. You'll just need to give it time and keep it warm for longer than normal for bottle conditioning. If you're planning to drink young, then adding yeast is a good idea, but I'd make a starter and pitch it while active. Considering where you landed relative to your target FG, I would not expect bottle bombs. Also consider that barley wines aren't normally highly carbonated when determining priming sugar amount.

After a good four barleywines under my belt, I can attest - T-58 is a great yeast to pitch for bottling.

If you do not pitch fresh yeast, many can confirm that you may not get any carbonation. It happened to me once.

Making a starter would probably work.... seems like too much work.

Plenty of well established threads about this, the search function does work if you try hard enough. Good luck

Use champagne, its cheap and works great. T-58 is far from neutral, too.

So I bottled it today.

I put enough sugar in to get it around 2.3 volumes.

Used half a pack of T-58. Boiled the priming sugar in a few cups of water.. let it cool.. then added the yeast and let it sit for an hour.

Hopefully no bottle bombs

If you have no unfermented sugars, and calculated the right amount of sugar there is no reason you should have bottle bombs. The yeast will only eat the unfermentable sugars.

T-58 eh? I might consider it for my 5 year agin barleywine....especially since I mixed yeast and used a Belgian on it.

1.108 to 1.026, would be about 10.5% abv. The S-05 should still be going.

No, the S-05 is done.

I used two packs.. let it go in the primary for a month.. then 4 months in the secondary.

After all the blow off, and transferring there was only about 4 gallons left. I added 3 oz of sugar with half a pack of T-58. Should be ok. For a normal beer I usually do 1+ oz of priming sugar per gallon.

If Im not mistaken, Beersmith takes the residual sugar into account when telling you how much priming sugar to use.

Back