Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sweet Sorghum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
LeglessDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Sweet Sorghum

I bought 44oz (in weight) of Spring Valley Sweet Sorghum syrup (100% pure, made by Mennonites using a horse-drawn mill in KY) with intentions of brewing with it. My instincts tell me to go for something rich, most likely either a dark Belgian/American "hybrid" or maybe an Imperial Porter/Brown ale.

My question concerns when to add the syrup. From what I've read, it is highly fermentable, and I figured that--like maple syrup--it's flavor/aroma properties will dissipate/change both as it boils, and as it ferments-out.

I want to preserve as much of the sorghum syrup's flavor properties as possible.

I prefer kegging then beer-gunning the beer, but if priming with sorghum would be the best method, I'm up for it--either in the keg or in bottles.

All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply