Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Swamp cooler TOO cold!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
barleyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not an idiot. I know how to measure temps. My question was about the yeast. Not the temps.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

55 is low for this strain. It has been reported that it can give of a "peachy flavor" below 64deg. As long as its still fermenting and you can warm it back up you will be fine. Its not the best for the yeast but better then fermenting too hot.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
barleyboy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks. I'll warm 'er back up a bit and see what we get!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Blueflint
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished a nut brown fermented with US05 at cold temps. I was shooting for 60-62 degrees but most of my fermentation ended up at 57-58 degrees. It slows down below 60 degrees but still finished out nicely. Try to get the temps up a little, low 60's it runs pretty good.

-Tony

Old 10-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use 2*20 oz plastic pop bottles. I also have a few 12oz water bottles. This helps me really dial in temps, for me I see that one day 2,3&4 after pitching are the "hottest" temp days.

FWIW:

Old 10-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyboy View Post
I'm not an idiot. I know how to measure temps. My question was about the yeast. Not the temps.
Look, I am trying to help you out here, and part of the troubleshooting process is eliminating variables. I already told you what I think about the yeast, but thought it would be worth looking into your temperature control situation because having the temp go from 65 to 55 and back again several times is DEFINITELY not good for the yeast.

I've only been using this method successfully for a few years, but you go ahead and do whatever you want. Apparently you already know how to control temps in your swamp cooler to within a couple of degrees.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I think you’re overreacting a bit. You’ve got, what, 50 pounds of wort and carboy in ten or twenty pounds of water? So with a ten degree swing I’m guessing the wort will swing about three degrees.

Just a guess, I don’t feel like setting up a differential equation. Looking at it another way you have 2L of ice going into 19L of wort. If the ice is at 30 and the wort is at 60, that’s 30 degrees difference. Since the mass you’re cooling is ten times bigger than the ice, that makes a difference in the carboy of 3 degrees.

Which fortunately agrees with my previous WAG. Those are rough calculations but it puts you in the ballpark. You’re looking at a few degrees over a twelve hour period.

You could use smaller bottles more often, but who has the time? Better to have a small temperature swing than to ferment hot.

Slainte

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
barleyboy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

Look, I am trying to help you out here, and part of the troubleshooting process is eliminating variables. I already told you what I think about the yeast, but thought it would be worth looking into your temperature control situation because having the temp go from 65 to 55 and back again several times is DEFINITELY not good for the yeast.

I've only been using this method successfully for a few years, but you go ahead and do whatever you want. Apparently you already know how to control temps in your swamp cooler to within a couple of degrees.
I know you were trying to help out. And I appreciate that. I appreciate everyone's help and comments here, I wouldn't be where I'm at with my brewing without this forum. But some of your comments seemed to imply that I am of less than average intelligence or even outright dumb. They are basic physics concepts. I didn't start this thread with the intention of offending someone that was offering advice. So, I guess I'm trying to say sorry. And thanks. At the same time.

And thanks to all for your comments and advice!

Quick Reply