Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Swamp Bath Fermentation Temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
otownpyle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Swamp Bath Fermentation Temps

Question, If I got a swamp bath w/ an ambient temp of 73 degrees F how much warmer is the liquid in the carboy?
If my swamp bath is big enough does it provide a good heat sink? I'm using on of those plastic storage bins (e.g. http://bit.ly/b768tM) that you get from #StruggleMart for like $7... so there's a good bit of buffer there.

I'm going outta town for a few days Friday and brewing tonight. What's the best way to guarantee that my temps are low enough, other than keeping the A/C down? I guess I'll try to turn it down to 72 while I'm gone? I don't like going much lower than that here in good ole hot & humid ississippiM. Thanks for your help.

Follow Me on Twitter Here

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's what I do to keep temps 62-65*F:

Basically swap out 6 frozen water bottles once at morning and night. If your leaving town for a couple of days you won't be able to do this though, so not sure what to tell ya other than to stick around or wait to brew till you can control temps with frozen bottles. During your first days of fermentation the yeast will warm thing up eating away so even if you leave your air on 72 I couldn't say you'd be safe leaving it. Worst case of starting it and leaving a couple of days, you'll ferment high and get off flavors or alcohols that may give you headaches by the warm temps speeding up fermentation.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
otownpyle
Recipes 

But what about the sudden drop in temps when you put the 6 frozen bottles in there?

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by otownpyle View Post
But what about the sudden drop in temps when you put the 6 frozen bottles in there?
Your beer is not some mewling weak baby that is affected by every little think. It's hardier than that.

If you read this you will see how strong our beer really is.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
otownpyle
Recipes 

Ok cool. I can get my buddy to roll over a few times to do that. Thanks Revvvvvvvvvvvvvy! One more question, how high up on the carboy do you usually have the swamp bath water? Is that a 6 gall carboy? Water about halfway up? I'm also doing my primary in a bucket for the first time... I usually use my carboy but it's full & I got an empty wine bucket.

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

t-shirt

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otownpyle View Post
Ok cool. I can get my buddy to roll over a few times to do that. Thanks Revvvvvvvvvvvvvy! One more question, how high up on the carboy do you usually have the swamp bath water? Is that a 6 gall carboy? Water about halfway up? I'm also doing my primary in a bucket for the first time... I usually use my carboy but it's full & I got an empty wine bucket.
I have one of the thermo stickers on my carboy, so I add the frozen bottles then water to get the level just below the sticker thermo. If the thermo gets wet, it starts screwing up and has to be dried overnight to get it back working again. You can see my sharpie gallon markings on the carboy to the left side, I was shooting for 5.5gallons on this batch. If you don't have the thermo I say have as much of it as you can under water just want to keep it stable.

+1 to the tshirt, you can see mine in the pic but I removed it to take that picture. I drape my tshirt over the carboy (to keep water off my thermo) but you could put the shirt over your entire carboy to help wick up some of that water from the cooler.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
otownpyle
Recipes 

Ah ok... Yeah i thought about covering it w/ packing tape to hopefully seal it off from the water... I think i have mine lower than that...

Read My Blog Here
www.otownpyle.com

Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I go as high as I need to.

The t-shirt is the key it asks as a wick.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Swamp cooler with a couple of ice packs gets me -10F lower than room temp.

Quick Reply