suspicious white spots on top of beer in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic1

Reaction score
Meant to say Secondary, not "Primary" in my title of thread..just to clarify.
Made a batch of all grain porter and split the batch into two different carboys for secondary. The first batch I added a coffee toddy and the second one I added toasted oak cubes that I soaked in some port overnight. After a week in secondary, the coffee batch has nothing on the top if it while the oak batch has some white spots along with what appears to be a slight "oil slick" of some sort. Never have used wood before so was wondering if this is normal, or if my wood possibly contaminated my beer. I was going to let this age fir six or 8 weeks, but now wondering if i should rack and bottle given the circumstances. I will try to attach a pic. Thanks for any input.

ForumRunner_20120916_110700.jpg

ForumRunner_20120916_110724.jpg

just looks like some CO2 bubbles from the picture

even if it was contaminated, you definitely would not want to go ahead and bottle it, that's just asking for bottle bombs

Yes does have some normal looking bubbles around the wood, but the white spots are located in the upper right hand corner if photo. I have seen yeast plumes before and these don't look like them. Guess I will just ride it out and see what happens. Also, I was going to drop the temperature down while I age on the wood cubes. Anyone have any suggestions on a good temp?

I would just keep an eye on them. I'm thiking collected bubbles, but that's just from the photo. If it's something nasty, it will be growing at a fast pace. Yeast bubbles should slow down or remain unchanged. Other stuff will likely grow noticeably larger.

Thanks for the replies. I will just wait it out and see what the next few weeks brings.

Back