New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Superior Strong Ale from Midwest -- Muntons Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
darkdork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Superior Strong Ale from Midwest -- Muntons Yeast?

Hi All,

First of all, I am a newbie brewer.

I purchased the Superior Strong Ale kit from Midwest, which came with the basic Munton's Yeast. I did the boil and pitched it on Saturday before reading here about the issues with this yeast and never hitting final gravity.

I also forgot to take an original hydrometer reading. The question is, what should I do now? Should I purchase another yeast packet from Midwest and then re-pitch? The main thing is that I would prefer to see the beer get close to 7% ABV, and I don't want any exploding bottles.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yah, I hate to say it, but I think it is unlikely you'll get down to your target gravity with that yeast. Munton's website specifies that their basic yeast (as opposed to their premium gold, or whatever it is called) is not suitable for all-malt fermentation, let alone for relatively high gravity brews such as yours. My first batch was from a Midwest kit, and I did some research when it stalled out around 1.020. For dry yeast, I would recommend Fermentis US-05 for a brew such as yours; just rehydrate with boiled, cooled water and pitch. As long as you let it ferment out completely (i.e. same FG reading after 3 days, and give it a few weeks to get there), you shouldn't have to worry about exploding bottles on account of added yeast. Also, as long as your volumes were about right, you shouldn't have to worry about forgetting to do the OG reading, because with extracts the OG is extremely predictable.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
darkdork
Recipes 

Thanks for the response... I will order some Fermentis US-05 tonight and pitch when it gets here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy View Post
For dry yeast, I would recommend Fermentis US-05 for a brew such as yours; just rehydrate with boiled, cooled water and pitch.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Safale S-04 is also a very good strain for a strong ale

Quick Reply