Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Super Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Tralmix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Super Yeast

I'm currently fermenting a Belgian White and used a White Labs Belgian Wit strain. I did a yeast starter and it started to take off after only a few hours. I've been in the primary for a week now and it's still going strong. My OG was 1.067 and I'm at 1.027 now.

My question is, should I transfer into the secondary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralmix View Post
I'm currently fermenting a Belgian White and used a White Labs Belgian Wit strain. I did a yeast starter and it started to take off after only a few hours. I've been in the primary for a week now and it's still going strong. My OG was 1.067 and I'm at 1.027 now.

My question is, should I transfer into the primary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.
I assume you're talking about transferring to a secondary (clearing vessel)? If so, wait until fermentation is over before moving the beer. You won't get off flavors from sitting on the yeast "too long" (a week is FAR from too long) anyway, but if the beer isn't done fermenting, you don't want to move it no matter how long it's been.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Tralmix
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. My bad. Yep, transfer to secondary.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
DulleTeve
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just used this yeast a while ago and had a very vigorous fermentation...had to change the airlock 4 times in the first 18 hours. Had a thick krausen for about 3 weeks. Big sulfur smell too, which slowly disappeared. I ended up keeping it in the primary for 37 days, until everything settled out. Haven't tasted it yet, still bottle conditioning.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
JoePro
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a Belgian Double Wit sitting in the closet. It slowed down enough for me to bring it upstairs to ramp up the temp since the OG is high. It have it in an 8 gallon carboy and the krausen has been touching the top all week.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralmix View Post

My question is, should I transfer into the secondary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.
That's a big witbier! The yeast is just taking some time to eat through all those sugars. +1 on Yooper's advice to leave your beers in primary until they are done with active fermentation.

Quick Reply