New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sulphur from slanted yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
my 2nd beer has got better with time. i went ahead and put some sugar in the latest and this does seem to have helped, but it is quite dry and a little sharp. hopefully with another week in fermenter it will be ok.
Adding sugar is going to dry the beer out and boost the Alcohol as well as increase the risk of fusel compounds.

If they're still in the primary you could try boosting the temp to 20c - 21c and give the yeast a chance to do some cleanup. If they've already been kegged you could always try lagering them for 1 week per 10pts of OG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
bob3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Adding sugar is going to dry the beer out and boost the Alcohol as well as increase the risk of fusel compounds.

If they're still in the primary you could try boosting the temp to 20c - 21c and give the yeast a chance to do some cleanup. If they've already been kegged you could always try lagering them for 1 week per 10pts of OG.
My thinking was some vigorous fermentation would drive off the sulphur. And it does seem to have worked, but now i just have a new problem, tastes really cidery. Should have just left it alone. I always do this
Hopefully in a week or two it will have sorted its self out. i also put some dry hops in so they might mask it a little.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
My thinking was some vigorous fermentation would drive off the sulphur. And it does seem to have worked, but now i just have a new problem, tastes really cidery. Should have just left it alone. I always do this
Hopefully in a week or two it will have sorted its self out. i also put some dry hops in so they might mask it a little.
You have everything to gain, and very little to lose by leaving it alone for a while. Is it still in primary? If so try and keep it around 20c (68F) and maybe give it a gentle swirl to stir some of the yeast back up into suspension for 10 days or so. If it's already kegged and on gas, leave it alone for 4 weeks to cold condition.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
bob3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, will do.

Quick Reply