New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > sulfur taste. Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
oshwa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Default sulfur taste. Yeast?

Having some issues......I brewed a beer and used some questionable rinsed yeast but did not use a started when I should have. It did not ferment. I pitched some fresh yeast and it fermented. The beer ended up with a sulfur taste. I thought maybe it was the roasted barley but now I am thinking it may have been the yeast. I ended up rinsing the yeast and was going to use it today. I noticed it has a slight sulfur smell. Should I not use that yeast??? I tried the beer again today. The sulfur taste (burnt match) has decreased. It went from undrinkable to just drinkable now (if that's an appropriate measure).....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Some yeasts do produce a sulphur smell during fermentation. A to short primary will allow some of this taste to reach the bottle. The taste may fade with bottle aging.
I can't remember the names of the two yeasts mentioned. I think they may have been English ale style yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply