Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Sulfur or Rotten Egg Aroma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
upperNY01brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Sulfur or Rotten Egg Aroma

So this is a first, I went to rack a Rye Pale Ale to secondary and after removing the airlock the first aroma that hit me was of rotten eggs or sulfur, to me they smell one in the same...My six yr old son who likes to help me out wanted to take credit for the smell saying "daddy I ripped a good one didnt I".....I was dying, but knew for sure it was coming from the carboy. Having never gone down this road I had to head to the bookshelf and get into some of my books to see were fault lies. Im currently looking at Dave Millers Homebrewing Guide and in the section Common Brewings Problems, Causes, and Remedies it states that with this aroma under Rotten eggs it is Agent Responsible = Hydrogen sulfide caused by infection remedy = sanitation and omit Campden tablets. And under Sulfur aroma= Yeast autolysis remedy Rack beer promptly minimize bottle yeast and store beer cool.

OK I like to think that my sanitation process is very good all through my brewing. Is there anyway to save this beer or should I just pour it down the drain and chalk it up to a new experience and revisit my overall sanition process, which like i SAID i FEEL IS VERY GOOD. If it was caused from yeast autolysis what can I do to prevent this in the future. Right now Im pretty bummed out and doubt how far Ive come as a brewer and need to get back to basics..

Like to here anyones views on this..

Reason: add comment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Also it was White Labs California Ale V (WLP051) that I used if that has something to do with it

Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Fermentation is ugly and stinky at times, even when it is perfectly normal. Sulphur is one of those byproducts of fermentation that yeast often gives off. Google "Rhino Farts" and you will see.

It's going out the airlock, meaning it's not staying in the beer.

Relax

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
Also it was White Labs California Ale V (WLP051) that I used if that has something to do with it
How many packages, or how big of a starter?

It definitely sounds like some stressed yeast!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
How many packages, or how big of a starter?

It definitely sounds like some stressed yeast!
I didnt use a starter and it was just one vial that I used. Another thing I noticed was that krausen never really left, it kind of finished with just a thin line of foam on top. Gravity did stabilize .

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
tinman1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you still have smell post transfer- if you keg, you can do a CO2 wash by flushing thru out post and venting thru pop off valve. If u bottle, might have to let it set for awhile.... I agree with above- might just be from fermentation.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
If you still have smell post transfer- if you keg, you can do a CO2 wash by flushing thru out post and venting thru pop off valve. If u bottle, might have to let it set for awhile.... I agree with above- might just be from fermentation.
I bottle, but Ive been filtering it by placing in a corny keg then pushing it through to my bottling bucket with co2, then adding the priming sugar then bottling. I guess time will tell, Im still going to transfer and dry hop and see where I stand next week

Quick Reply