Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Suggestions for house lager yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patirck View Post
Do some of you find yourselves brewing more lagers than ales? I am planning on brewing several lagers in a row so I can get a better handle on fermentation times. Ales have always seemed so much easier in this respect. Do any of you have any suggestions for fermentation techniques from when and how to pitch (cold and let it rise, at target temperature or warm and cool it to target temp)? I have also read a bit on d-rest - I did this before with my german pils. As I recall, if I have a 1.050 og and a target fg of 1.010 I would have a total gravity drop of .040 points. Since I want to do a d-rest at about 75% of this, I would raise the temp to 68* when it reached 1.020. Is this how you do it?

Just like with an ale, I like to pitch at or even a couple of degrees below my beginning ferment temp. That being said, if I run out of ice just a few degrees higher, I'll go ahead and pitch it.

I'll run it 8-10 days at 48-50*F, check to see if it's getting close to target FG. If it is, I bring it up to 61*F (68* is too warm IMO) for three days of d-rest, check the grav, then cold crash after that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you say "close to FG" do you have a number i mind? Or do you simply do it by time in primary?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you pitch cool, and let it rise to your target temp, then in theory you shouldn't realty need a d rest. I, like most I think do it anyway. When to do it isn't realty an exact science. I think Jamil Z recommends raising the temp for the last third of fermentation, but it's not like the yeast dies once it reaches terminal gravity, so I'd imagine it'd still work even if you waited until then.

What I do is pitch at 45, and raise the temp 1 degree every morning and night until 50 for most of my lagers. When fermentation noticeably slows I raise they temp to 58, and let it sit for a week or so.

Edit... Then I keg and lager. I don't use a secondary for lagering.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds great - one question - 50* for the dry 34/70 strain seems on the cold side based on the spec sheet for the yeast. Are you fermenting saflager 34/70 at 50*?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, it's at the lower end of the yeast's temp band but still in the band.

Quick Reply