Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Suggestions for a commercial beer to harvest yeast for german altbier?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
eatmorefrogs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Suggestions for a commercial beer to harvest yeast for german altbier?

I recently gave away a packet of yeast out of my Brewer's Best german altbier kit to a friend of mine interested in getting started in the wide world of fermentation.

I'm thinking this has accidentally afforded me the great opportunity to make my first attempt at harvesting yeast from a commercial brew. Any suggestions on which yeast would replace my old yeast (I can't find online what type of yeast I gave away ) Does anyone have any idea what kind of yeast comes in that kit?

Cheers!

how many cups does a normal house have? mine has that times eight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Well an Alt beer is a old German style beer brewed in the northern mountans (Alts), back then they used to make the normal ale, and then store it (german word is lagern, hence lager style beers) they realized this long bulk conditioning made the beer more crisp and clean, now days they use lager (bottom fermenting) yeast but back then it was an ale (top fermenting) yeast

Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative. This yeast is a top cropping (ale) yeast from Germany. if I were to make an Alt this is deffinately the yeast I would use.

That being said, this is a hybrid style beer, to reduce any fruity ester that ale yeasts produce I would ferment at the lower end of this yeasts temp range. So ambient air should be 5-10 degrees cooler than that.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun! And remember to sample it throughout no timeline will tell you when your beer is best, only your palate will tell u when its ready, when the beer taste exactly how you want it (no off flavors), bottle it/keg it and don't rush it!!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
elliot658
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing View Post
Well an Alt beer is a old German style beer brewed in the northern mountans (Alts), back then they used to make the normal ale, and then store it (german word is lagern, hence lager style beers) they realized this long bulk conditioning made the beer more crisp and clean, now days they use lager (bottom fermenting) yeast but back then it was an ale (top fermenting) yeast

Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative. This yeast is a top cropping (ale) yeast from Germany. if I were to make an Alt this is deffinately the yeast I would use.

That being said, this is a hybrid style beer, to reduce any fruity ester that ale yeasts produce I would ferment at the lower end of this yeasts temp range. So ambient air should be 5-10 degrees cooler than that.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun! And remember to sample it throughout no timeline will tell you when your beer is best, only your palate will tell u when its ready, when the beer taste exactly how you want it (no off flavors), bottle it/keg it and don't rush it!!!!
thank you

Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I didn't have any luck finding a commercial alt available in my area. My last alt I used wlp029

Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
I didn't have any luck finding a commercial alt available in my area. My last alt I used wlp029
I used Wyeast Kolsch 2565 for my alt. Lagered at about 50 for a month. Clean and smooth...

Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
mtcpilot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Long story short, I would imagine u received a dry yeast, but wyeast 1007 is a great liquid alternative.
I second the Wyeast 1008 suggestion! I make a winter ale with this that turns out great. Ferment at about 60F, you'll have good results!

Clark
Bottled: 4.0 GPA(German Pale Ale), EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Next: 3-Way Tripel, Coconut Porter, Nor'Easter Winter Ale, Once You Go Black IPA, German Pilsner, Scotch Ale

Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
eatmorefrogs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

Wow, thanks to you and to everyone for all of the solid responses. I'll probably just go with Wyeast 1007.

how many cups does a normal house have? mine has that times eight.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorefrogs

Wow, thanks to you and to everyone for all of the solid responses. I'll probably just go with Wyeast 1007.
I think I had too many Ruthless Rye IPAs and 3 Floyds Alpha kings last night lol that was a long response! But your welcome

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:

Uh, alt is the German word for old, not mountain. They were/are lagered, that's true. As far as I know this is why they are called alt beers, because they're aged longer, and are thus older.

EDIT: It looks like alt refers to the alt (old) style of brewing, since alt-like beers have been brewed for something like 3000 years.

Quick Reply