Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Substitute Pacman yeast for Kölsch yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Substitute Pacman yeast for Kölsch yeast?

I brewed a [accidental imperial] Northern German Alt beer last night, and in a daze when I woke up this morning pitched the Kölsch starter into the other carboy (simple pale ale). I didn't realize the mistake until the final yeast bits were plopping into the wrong fermenter.

I have a Pacman starter that I built up from the dregs of a Rogue bottle over the past week. My options at this point are to go and buy one or two new packs of Kölsch yeast or to pitch the built-up Pacman starter.

Given, the Alt beer I made is extremely heavy due to an unintended extremely high efficiency result that wasn't detected until it was in the fermenter (1.065 after the first dilution), so I'm not against changing other parts of this brew if it could make for an appealing, and interesting beer.

All other things being equal, does Pacman from Rogue produce similar flavors/qualities as a Kölsch yeast [WLP029]?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Pacman is basically a "dirty" strain of London Ale yeast. (as described to me by one of the brewers at Rogue)

nurture my pig

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
All other things being equal, does Pacman from Rogue produce similar flavors/qualities as a Kölsch yeast [WLP029]?
Not really, though if you ferment it low enough you can get some exceptionally clean beer. I've made pseudo-lagers with it (fermented 55F) that have even placed in competitions. I say try it out, worst thing that could happen is you get a bit more esters... then you can just call it a blonde ale.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I ended up getting a couple of packages of Wyeast and pitched them instead of the pacman starter. This decision was reaffirmed this morning when the starter developed a scummy white film on the top. The smell has gone south. Pacman will have to happen another day!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
Thanks for the replies! I ended up getting a couple of packages of Wyeast and pitched them instead of the pacman starter. This decision was reaffirmed this morning when the starter developed a scummy white film on the top. The smell has gone south. Pacman will have to happen another day!
That was a close call for sure. You'll like the pale with the Kolsch too. Great yeast.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Quick Reply