Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stupid Decision, Need ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
jmmarvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stupid Decision, Need ideas.

Well I pulled a boner-headed move (not a typo). I put together a recipe for a Vanilla java bourbon aged porter, complete with a few yeast choices. Well I was running some errands the other day and decided to pick up some yeast. My mind went blank and I couldn't remember any of the 3 yeast choices that I came up with before, and consequently I ended up with Wyeast "northeast" ale yeast - not a particularly good candidate for the beer style I went with.

So I have a yeast starter made and plan to brew tomorrow or saturday. Any suggestions on what I could brew (I know this yeast is good for american stouts, Ipas and pales, which may be more seasonally appropriate) ??

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Did you mean a northwest ale yeast? Yeah brew a pale ale. I've used northwest in an american pale ale before and really enjoyed it.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
jmmarvel
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm an idiot today (Sorry, wife and I just had a kid on Saturday and I don't have a working brain...). It is Northwest Ale yeast. I don't want to do anything too plain, like an apa or anything. I'm really bummed that I can't do my porter recipe, but like i said in the OP, it's not exactly seasonally appropriate... Any ideas for a beer w/ my Northwest ale yeast?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

what's so plain about an apa? do an american IPA then. just do something that utilizes american hops like summit or tomahawk. And, by the way, american pale ale WAS my idea for a beer w/ your northwest ale yeast. take it or leave it.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Potter1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Why is NW ale such a bad choice for your porter? I know it's not english, but I've fermented MANY ales with it and it is a great yeast. Very clean at low temps (you can take it down to 58 no problem, no matter what Wyeast says) and if you go a little high, say 68, you get a nice fruity ale. I mean, if you are really opposed to it, do a Robust Porter instead of the Vanilla Porter. What yeasts where you looking at originally?

Primary 4 Air

Secondary 1 air
2 air
3 air
4 air
Kegged
Fall Amber, Sparkling Cider, Cream Soda, Gum Bleeder II, Dunkel
Damn big drinkin' weekend

Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
MrPorter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aw, just chuck it in yer carboy and have a beer

Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
jmmarvel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
what's so plain about an apa? do an american IPA then. just do something that utilizes american hops like summit or tomahawk. And, by the way, american pale ale WAS my idea for a beer w/ your northwest ale yeast. take it or leave it.
Sorry, didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch...

I don't have any way to regulate temp so that it stays around 58, so the fruitiness wouldn't be great for what I wanted to go for. But it should be fine for an IPA. I guess that helps make my mind up...

Reason: Edit: original yeast was Thames, or London.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Aw, just chuck it in yer carboy and have a beer
+1...give it a shot, might be great!