Stuck or slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor

Reaction score
Did a single infusion mash for an Irish Stout all grain five days ago. The fermentation has seemed very slow. OG was 1.042, and it's now 1.022, with no apparent yeast activity any more. The bucket has been at about 65 - 70 degrees the whole time.

Should I worry, toss it, or be patient?

THanks!

Paul

Primary fermentation is complete is all. Either rack over to secondary or you can leave in primary, you may end with more yeast flavor than wanted if you do this. My suggestion is to rack to another carbon and let rest until 1.012 or less, should take 1-2 more weeks once at this lower gravity then you can bottle.

cxchef said:
Primary fermentation is complete is all. Either rack over to secondary or you can leave in primary, you may end with more yeast flavor than wanted if you do this. My suggestion is to rack to another carbon and let rest until 1.012 or less, should take 1-2 more weeks once at this lower gravity then you can bottle.

Damn auto correct- carboy is what I meant

You should get a bunch more drop in gravity. I would try gently swirling the fermentation vessel to rouse the yeast then wait a few days and take another gravity reading.

I always let my primary sit for 3 week before checking the gravity so I do not know what would be expected at 5 days. But you should be very close to FG when the active fermentation ends. From 1.042 I would expect a FG near 1.010 depending on the recipe.

Yeah, screw doing a secondary for a lower gravity beer. Gently rouse the yeast, and maybe warm up the fermenter by a few degrees. Leave the beer on the yeast cake for a total of 2-3 weeks and then bottle.

What was your mash temp? It's also possible you mashed too high and the yeast are already done eating all the fermentables.

Yes I would not move it to this so called secondary. Leave it in primary with a gentle swirl and warmer temp if you can.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I'll let it sit a couple weeks. I've just never had one that never bubbles quickly, so this is all helpful.

Did a batch of (roughly) Silver Dollar Porter this morning, which I love.

Back