Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck fermentation... Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It has to have unfermentables in it. Yeast will eat fermentable sugar. That's why I suggest the enzyme, which will convert dextrins

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
zendog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For sure don't dump it. Some of my best brews started as under-achievers. Here's what I did for three of them:

1. Added champagne yeast to a dunkelweisen = had a little clove taste but was still to style and great overall.

2. Pitched Brett C to a Scottish ale and turned it into my first sour. Two years old now and it its tasting pretty good!

3. Transferred a brown ale on top of a saison yeast cake that just finished after 5 days of fermenting (so was still semi-active). Baked that one at 80F and it turned out phenomenal!

Let's hear it for franken-brews!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

zendog, I can hear the crowd forming, sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches now...

EC-1118 could help, but I don't think it will do all that much. I tried that in one of my early batches (my first old ale) and it didn't do squat for fermenting.

I'm not a fan (at all) of sours, so doing that to a Scottish ale just feels wrong.

Did you actually 'bake' the brown ale or did it just ferment HOT??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon

Transfer it to a secondary. Make a new starter of your choice. wlp001 or whatever. Aerate starter. It can be a quart starter. Stir it as often as you can if no stirplate. Once the starter is at peak activity, pitch it.

You cannot just toss inactive yeast in. They will fall out. Raise temp 2-3 degrees.

Doing these things will probably fix it.
I never tossed any inactive yeast in it... They ate sugar, just not enough...

Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #45
zendog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
zendog, I can hear the crowd forming, sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches now...

EC-1118 could help, but I don't think it will do all that much. I tried that in one of my early batches (my first old ale) and it didn't do squat for fermenting.

I'm not a fan (at all) of sours, so doing that to a Scottish ale just feels wrong.

Did you actually 'bake' the brown ale or did it just ferment HOT??
Yeah, I've been accused of heresy before, then people try my beers and let me live another day!

'Baked' is my euphemism for hot ferments. I brought the gravity down for the brown ale w/ saison yeast (WLP565) at 80 because that's where it performs well. Was it still a nut brown ale? No, but it was definitely quaffable.

The methods I presented will not rescue a stalled fermentation and end up with the intended beer style. It will turn the beer into uncharted territory for sure. But to me it is better than drinking a cloyingly sweet malt soup or worse yet, dumping the beer which is indeed heresy! Maybe someday I will try the enzyme trick...

Happy brewing!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #46
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just thiefed a sample, looking like it is about 1.019 right now. I've got an amber ale sitting on a yeast cake of 1272 in primary, might rack it over and move one fermenter of brown on top of that yeast cake next weekend to see if I can coax any more fermentation out of it.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #47
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT
Just thiefed a sample, looking like it is about 1.019 right now. I've got an amber ale sitting on a yeast cake of 1272 in primary, might rack it over and move one fermenter of brown on top of that yeast cake next weekend to see if I can coax any more fermentation out of it.
Next time try a fast ferment test. Then you will know if it is wort or yeast.

http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...t_Ferment_Test

Quick Reply