Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Colorowdy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Stuck fermentation question

I have a rye ipa that has been in the fermenter for two weeks and my gravity reading is 1.036. I have a packet of Saflager 3470. Can I pitch this? I can keep the temperature at 66. Do I need to worry about off flavors if I pitch it. I really don't want to place a order for 1 pack of yeast. Any help is much appreciated.

Everyone dies. Few truly live.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Are you getting that reading with an hydrometer or a refractometer? If it's the latter, the presence of alcohol makes them read artificially high. You'll need to run the numbers through a correction calculator. I did a simultaneous check one time with both and got 1.035 on the refractometer, 1.017 on the hydrometer.

If you're using an hydrometer, you really are stuck. What yeast did you use for this batch and how much?

First, try to rouse it. If you're using a fermenter bucket

I wouldn't toss the 34/70 lager yeast into a rye IPA and run it at 66*F. If there's any more fermenting to be done, do it with an ale yeast (like US-05) at that temp. What you'll need to do is rehydrate it first, then make a small 1L starter and pitch it at high krausen. If you want, you can leave it sit for another week or so while you pick up a packet of US-05 at your convenience. Any LHBS where you live?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Colorowdy
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I'm using a hydrometer. I pitched one pack US-05 rehydrated.
I just got done gently stirring everything back up. Hoping this works. The closest lhbs is two hours away and they suck more of a indoor garden store. That's where I picked up the ingredients from.
I guess if stirring doesn't work I will just have to go order a couple batches online and order some extra yeast. Damn extra ingredients my wife can go shopping while I brew up another batch. Pipeline is getting low anyway.

Everyone dies. Few truly live.

Quick Reply