Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > stuck fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
bubbageez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default stuck fermentation

I'm fermenting a mad elf clone that I brewed on August 3rd. The OG was 1.086. I made a 2L starter with WLP550. It took off fermenting within a few hours with a blow off hooked up and had a very thick krausen which dissipated this past Friday or Saturday. The bubbling on the airlock stopped on Monday so I took a gravity reading on Monday, Tuesday and then today. The gravity on all three days was 1.026. ABV currently is 8.0%. I was shooting for an ABV of around 11% but had a low OG so was hoping to get to atleast 9%. I will be racking into a secondary onto 5 lbs of cherries so I dont know if this will kick fermentation back up a little. So my question is should I add some type of yeast and if so which kind, should I just give it more time, or should I just rack it to the secondary. I've only been brewing a little over a year and have never had a stuck fermentation so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

In my experience, after about three weeks, fermentation is usually done. I would give it a few extra days, just to be sure, then proceed with your original plan.

How does it taste?

I'll add that attenuation was about 70%. White Labs lists this strain as attenuating between 78-85%. The under attenuation could be the result of underpitching, fermentation temperate, oxygenation level, and/or wort fermentability.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you have fermentation temp control you can increase the temp a few degrees and give the beer a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon. Give that a try for a few days to see if your FG drops a little.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
bubbageez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for info pie man and thanks rockn_M ill give that a try

Quick Reply