New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck Fermentation - 2 Batches - 2 Yeasts. Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
clblittle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Stuck Fermentation - 2 Batches - 2 Yeasts. Help!

Ok, so I went to bottle my porter this afternoon and found that it was stuck at 1.030 after 40+ days. What a disappointment. Never having this problem, I already had it in the bottling bucket ready to go and had to transfer it back into the fermenter to see if I can get anything to happen again! This beer started at 1.064 (9/16/12) and was pitched with WLP002 straight from the vile (never had a problem doing this before).

Thought I had better check on the 10 gallons of WIT I brewed after the Porter and found that it too is stuck! WTF. The WIT Started @ 1.050 (9/30/12) with WLP410 and is now stuck at 1.018 (10/21/12). It was pitched directly onto the cake of my previous batch and experienced EXPLOSIVE fermentation within a day.

We have had a couple of cold snaps around here, but my basement usually stays between 65-72 year round. Also, did the same techniques as my previous (many) batches on both.

I am completely at a loss here... Anyone have any suggestions?

Would pitching more yeast help? How about a different strain to finish it up? Ive got some WLP001 at my disposal immediately... Seriously considering it, but was wondering if anyone else has some ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Did you check your hydrometer to make sure it's at 1.000? You're not using a refractometer, right?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 535

We talking extract or AG? If your AG, you may be mashing way too high due to a faulty thermometer.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
clblittle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Did you check your hydrometer to make sure it's at 1.000? You're not using a refractometer, right?
Yes, put it in some water for a 1.000 right away.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
clblittle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
We talking extract or AG? If your AG, you may be mashing way too high due to a faulty thermometer.
I always use multiple thermometers: One on my brew kettle for heating mash water, a digital food thermometer, and a candy/deep fry old school thermo. They all match on another within about 3-4 degrees consistently.

These are definitely not through, tasting them leaves little to no trace of alcohol and obvious sweetness still in the wort.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by clblittle View Post
I always use multiple thermometers: One on my brew kettle for heating mash water, a digital food thermometer, and a candy/deep fry old school thermo. They all match on another within about 3-4 degrees consistently.

These are definitely not through, tasting them leaves little to no trace of alcohol and obvious sweetness still in the wort.
But a 4 degree difference is HUGE! If you think you're mashing at 156, and are actually at 160, the beer will be a totally different beer and finish sweet with a high FG.

If your mash temp varies by that much, that could be the cause of the problem.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
saazall
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The variability between thermometers, even among the same model, is surprisingly bad. Unless you fork out big bucks for a lab grade meter, there can be as much as 3-4 degrees variance. Try to use one that at least can be calibrated at 32F in ice water.and check the spec for accuracy.

SaazAll

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 437

It's my understanding that extract batches might finish a couple thousandths higher gravity. The 1.018 might be complete.

The 1.030 - a lot of people will disagree with me - a lot - do a little research and consider aerating it and pitching a little more yeast.

I wouldn't bottle it like that.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
clblittle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I "shook" up the porter and see a little bit of activity this morning in the airlock. Ive got my fingers crossed that it is going to get going again. Seriously hoping it isnt just out-gassing the air I shook into it.

On the WIT, if it doesn't move in a week or so I am just going to live with it. It tastes good, so it might be better as a low alcohol session beer. Ill just be sure to keg it rather then bottle.

As far as thermometers, I hear you. Without the funds for a high end thermo, what are you all using? I always figured that by keeping track on multiple thermos, I had my bases covered and was probably hitting within a reasonable range. Might be wrong on that one.

I usually mash in low and raise the temp to my target. Target on each of these was 150, which I hit on both. So even if the thermo is off by 4 deg., 154 isn't a deal breaker as far as fermentable sugar is it? Just changes the beers taste, right?

I appreciate your help as always! Learning something new here almost everyday!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
clblittle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It official: Porter is back up.

Guess I need to get myself some aeration equipment. A problem solved and an excuse to get a new toy.

Quick Reply