The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > stuck fermentation at 1.035!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
QuaffableQuips
G'suffa!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendal View Post
Try these things in this order...

Rouse the yeast and take another gravity reading tomorrow morning. If it's dropping then do it some more.

If no change in gravity, try moving it to a warmer spot and take gravity reading the next morning.

If still no change, add another packet of yeast.

If it still hasn't changed after all that, best I can tell you is to bottle/keg it. It will be a bit on the sweeter side but it won't be ruined. And then the next time you brew a high OG beer like this one, pitch more yeast. I usually use 2 packets if I'm brewing anything over 1.060.
And if none of those work, you could always add some Brettanomyces to dry it out and funk it up. A little bit of that wild Brett character might work really well in a bourbon barrel porter. I had an extract imperial stout get stuck at 1.030 a couple of years back, and a little Brett B plus a month or two of waiting got it down to 1.015 or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks. I'll try these techniques and see what happens

Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
orangemen5
Recipes 

So I tried rousing the yeast a few times and warming it to 70 the past 2 days and the fg didn't lower. Maybe a point or 2. I'm wondering if I repitching some yeast if I should use a full pack or half pack? Will repitching lower it to much and dry it out

Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
orangemen5
Recipes 

So I tried rousing the yeast and warming it up. It drop a point or 2 over the course of a week. I ended up racking on a us05 yeast cake instead of repitching fresh yeast but that doesn't seem to be working either. Is there any risk of bottle bombs with a fg that high even if it's stable for a few weeks

Quick Reply