The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > stuck ferment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
extexan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default stuck ferment?

I have a batch of barleywine that I am having trouble getting it to ferment a little lower. The OG was 1.100. I used mostly wheat dme, some barley malt. 24 oz of piloncillo (unrefined sugar cane sugar), 20 oz of maple syrup and some assorted grains. I made a 2 qt starter using 3 C of wheat malt. The yeast was Wyeast Strong Ale (1388). The primary ferment went well. I know the strong ale only ferments down to around 12% abv. I racked to to the secondary where I added my spices, and racked again this time adding a package of dry wine yeast to hopefully kick up the ferment again. It did for a day or so, and the SG is now at 1.038, and has since ceased to ferment. I have it in my head that I need to get it down at least another 8-10 points before bottling. Should I
a. let it sit and see if the gravity drops without doing anything, and then bottle to champagne yeast?
b. add champagne yeast now to get the gravity to drop a little more, then (depending on how far the gravity does drop) then bottle to more champagne yeast?
c. bottle now as is and wait
I am open for suggestions. This is a Christmas Strong Ale, so I am really not planning to use any until December.
thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Please review my blog post on stuck fermentations for advice: http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Arcane...mentation_101/

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply