Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck, but active fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
fluxgame
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stuck, but active fermentation?

I've got a braggot fermenting in secondary right now, yeast is WLP001. Reasonably high gravity (original SG was ~1.090). Activity had stopped on my airlock a week ago, so I got ready to bottle it. Gravity at that point was a hair over 1.020. I figured that was probably a little high, so I stirred the yeast up a bit and gave it another couple of days. No SG change, so I pitched some Champagne yeast, thinking maybe I'd killed the yeast with alcohol levels. A short time later I had some healthy activity. That was 5 days ago. It's still bubbling every 15 seconds or so, but I just checked the SG and it's still ~1.020. It tastes pretty good and much drier than I would expect for the gravity reading I'm getting. Anyone have any theories as to what might be going on here? I'm a bit confused.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had a few beers stop at 1.020, I don't know that its a deal breaker, if you're sure the SG is staying there for several days, maybe the remaining sugars aren't easily convertable by the yeast. I know honey especially has very complex sugars and that could be a factor. BUT that being said, you may want to double check and make sure nothings wrong w/ your hydrometer, do a check w/ 60deg water and see that its reading 1.000 or near that...

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Droot
Recipes 

I don't know what a braggot is, but I have made mead. It could take a month or two to ferment.

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Quick Reply