stuck belgian golden strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
After 7 days stuck at 1.030. I roused the yeast and have followed the recipe ( Jamil's) to a tee. pitched right amount and ramped up as per instructions. I also waited 36 hours to add the sugar so the yeast would focus on the wort sugars. Am I being impatient?

I would go ahead and pitch another vial and give it another two weeks. That should finish dropping your gravity and give the yeast enough time to clean up any remaining diacetyl. Good luck. And out of curiosity, what was your OG?

After 7 days stuck at 1.030. I roused the yeast and have followed the recipe ( Jamil's) to a tee. pitched right amount and ramped up as per instructions. I also waited 36 hours to add the sugar so the yeast would focus on the wort sugars. Am I being impatient?

What was your O.G.??

For a dark strong 7 days is too soon. Let it sit for a couple of more weeks and then see where it is at.

Just let the yeast do its thing.

I'll definately wait unfortunately the fermentation fridge has to make room for the Janet's brown that was made this morning, 10 gallons woohoo. The golden strong will have to hang at basement temps. (70-72). Hope it comes down enough to drink. The sample I had was sweeter that I coudld manage and I have drank some f-cked up beers.

What was the temp at before? Like a lot of Belgian strains, 1388 needs somewhat warmer temps. 70-72 is right in the middle of 1388's recommended 64-80. Take it out of the fridge, let it warm up a bit and give it a swirl to get the yeast moving again. You probably just made them sleepy.

I have 2 stage temp. control so I slowly ramped up to 80 degrees in 7 days. Pitched at 67. I have to take out of warmth of the fridge to cellar temps for my other beer to get started. I have never brewed a BGSA but after drinking Duvel I had to try. Hope it comes down some.

I brewed a Duvel clone using this yeast, the WL version, which I pitched a smaller starter than yours and added the sugars at the end of the boil. I also ramped up the temps to 82 degrees over the first week.

That said, after 7 days,the brew wasn't even close to finished. It took an additional two weeks to finish out. My FG dropped to about 1.007.

Be patient and keep it in the 80's...it should finish. FWIW, I read another post recently that this yeast is not a quick finisher...wish I knew that to before brewing.

This beer turned out awesome BTW!!! Yours should too!

There is some confusion here. Most people are thinking that the OP said it has only been fermenting for 7 days- obviously it would not be finished. However, the OP said it has been stuck at 30 for 7 days. I am curious how long it has been fermenting total. And OP, has anything changed in the last few days?

Total ferment time is 12 days. NO change after Sat. reading. I'll set it to the side and forget about it for a while. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back