New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strong "Alcoholy" smell and strange substance on top of wort!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoore2012 View Post
I haven't yet become adept at using the hydrometer.

The 'good' beer was a pale ale, and the 'bad' beers were pumpkin beer recipes. I believe it was a medium bodied ale and then pumpkin was supposed to be added in.

I don't really know much about my water profile but I've used purified water from the grocery store.

How do you eliminate chlorine/chloramine?

Thanks
Pumpkin beers take time to mature, for certain. Try letting those sit for quite a while and trying another. How old are they at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

And by quite a while, that could possibly be months not weeks. Typically the more complex a beer is, the longer it takes for all the flavors to start playing nice with each other. Its hard to get more complex than a pumpkin spiced ale IMO. My last pumpkin sat in the primary 2 weeks, secondary 3 weeks, and bottle conditioned around 4 months before I was happy with it ("drinkable" after a month, GREAT after 4)

Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Rmoore2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Guys,

I actually tossed out the pumpkin beers as I was so frustrated. I really regret that now. I had let the pumpkin sit in the the bottle for about a month before tossing it out. I definitely should have posted about it before doing so. I will wait this one out a bit before bottling and hopefully that will do the trick.

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #14
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Don't feel bad, it's definitely a lesson everybody that brews has learned the hard way at least once.

Kippis!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoore2012 View Post
I haven't yet become adept at using the hydrometer.

The 'good' beer was a pale ale, and the 'bad' beers were pumpkin beer recipes. I believe it was a medium bodied ale and then pumpkin was supposed to be added in.

I don't really know much about my water profile but I've used purified water from the grocery store.

How do you eliminate chlorine/chloramine?

Thanks
Pumpkin Beers are one of the hardest beers to brew. I have never done one. I feel like I want to perfect the base beer of the pumpkin beer before I start messing around with the pumpkin. If you have soft water that will be good for malty brews and hard will be good for pales and bitter brews. So, if you have hard water you might have a tough time making a good pumpkin beer.

If you are using purified water you probably don't have chlorine/Chloramine, but if you are using municipal water you probably have chlorine/chloramine in your water which would most definitely cause a negative off flavor in your water. You can fix by buying campden tablets. I usually put half of one in my brew water, crushed up. It will eliminate chlorine/chloramine.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Rmoore2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I don't think the water has been an issue. Perhaps I jumped into doing the pumpkin brew too soon. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply