New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > strong Alcohol taste and smell




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default strong Alcohol taste and smell

Brewed a Blonde Ale extract... Sanitized like crazy.

Use US 05 yeast.. hydrated and pitched @ 70 degrees... Been fermenting @ 64-66 for 9 days...

Took SG sample... And tasted beer. Had really strong alcohol smell and taste... Beer was not good tasting.

OG was 1.044 SG was 1.015 ..... Don't think its done....

Can I attribute the taste to the fact I haven't reached my ideal FG ? ( shooting for 1.009 or 1.010 )

Will this go away ?

Noob here...



__________________
pollykraker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
hamiltont
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 867
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

The beer is still green. Give it another week in the primary to let the yeast finish its job & then package it. If everything else is right the beer will be fine... Cheers!!!



__________________

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

hamiltont is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont
The beer is still green. Give it another week in the primary to let the yeast finish its job & then package it. If everything else is right the beer will be fine... Cheers!!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure it is the first time nerves LOL.

I Made sure to check on the temp at all times.

Should I Even bother take another gravity reading in 3 days ?? Would think no point in doing so and opening to air... Prob just let it sit another week before taking reading ?
__________________
pollykraker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,349
Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Your beer may have gotten two warm, pitching at 70 degrees. If this is the case then some of the flavor will age out, but probably not all of it.

__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
hamiltont
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 867
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Just let it ride. Every time you open the fermenter you open the door for an infection. As long as I know fermentation took off I never check my Ales until week 3, Lagers week 4. Cheers!!!

__________________

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

hamiltont is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
Your beer may have gotten two warm, pitching at 70 degrees. If this is the case then some of the flavor will age out, but probably not all of it.
Pitched at 70... But has fermented @ 64-68 the whole time.... Gravity still has some movement needed.... But no active signs... Krausen has gone away.. no bubbles in airlock...
__________________
pollykraker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont
Just let it ride. Every time you open the fermenter you open the door for an infection. As long as I know fermentation took off I never check my Ales until week 3, Lagers week 4. Cheers!!!
Word. Prob will let it set til week 3. Should I leave temp @ 64-66 ?
__________________
pollykraker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,349
Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykraker View Post
Pitched at 70... But has fermented @ 64-68 the whole time.... Gravity still has some movement needed.... But no active signs... Krausen has gone away.. no bubbles in airlock...
Is the 64-68 ambient temperature or wort temperature? If it's ambient then the temperature could have gotten 5-10 degrees warmer than 64-68. Also, how long did it take to get down to 64-68 from 70?
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte

Is the 64-68 ambient temperature or wort temperature? If it's ambient then the temperature could have gotten 5-10 degrees warmer than 64-68. Also, how long did it take to get down to 64-68 from 70?
Wort. Using swamp cooler. Water temp was about 60 ... Wort was measuring 64-68 at max

2nd don't fully remember... That's the one thing I didn't write down... Wouldn't have been too long . Worse if it took long or worse if it changed quickly
__________________
pollykraker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,349
Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykraker View Post
Wort. Using swamp cooler. Water temp was about 60 ... Wort was measuring 64-68 at max

2nd don't fully remember... That's the one thing I didn't write down... Wouldn't have been too long . Worse if it took long or worse if it changed quickly
Worse if it took longer. It doesn't sound like this is a situation where you'd get a strong alcohol flavor, so it's strange.


__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottled tonight - Strong Alcohol Taste/smell srkaeppler Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-13-2013 12:34 AM
Strong alcohol smell and taste ENMEDINA Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-29-2012 03:41 PM
Strong Alcohol Smell catamount Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 01-30-2009 09:52 PM
Strong Alcohol smell gruversm General Techniques 3 07-27-2008 11:57 PM
Real Strong Alcohol Smell.... uglygoat General Techniques 3 01-04-2005 02:41 PM