Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   strong Alcohol taste and smell (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/strong-alcohol-taste-smell-363004/)

pollykraker 10-23-2012 04:30 PM

strong Alcohol taste and smell
 
Brewed a Blonde Ale extract... Sanitized like crazy.

Use US 05 yeast.. hydrated and pitched @ 70 degrees... Been fermenting @ 64-66 for 9 days...

Took SG sample... And tasted beer. Had really strong alcohol smell and taste... Beer was not good tasting.

OG was 1.044 SG was 1.015 ..... Don't think its done....

Can I attribute the taste to the fact I haven't reached my ideal FG ? ( shooting for 1.009 or 1.010 )

Will this go away ?

Noob here...

hamiltont 10-23-2012 04:38 PM

The beer is still green. Give it another week in the primary to let the yeast finish its job & then package it. If everything else is right the beer will be fine... Cheers!!!

pollykraker 10-23-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltont
The beer is still green. Give it another week in the primary to let the yeast finish its job & then package it. If everything else is right the beer will be fine... Cheers!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure it is the first time nerves LOL.

I Made sure to check on the temp at all times.

Should I Even bother take another gravity reading in 3 days ?? Would think no point in doing so and opening to air... Prob just let it sit another week before taking reading ?

afr0byte 10-23-2012 04:54 PM

Your beer may have gotten two warm, pitching at 70 degrees. If this is the case then some of the flavor will age out, but probably not all of it.

hamiltont 10-23-2012 04:55 PM

Just let it ride. Every time you open the fermenter you open the door for an infection. As long as I know fermentation took off I never check my Ales until week 3, Lagers week 4. Cheers!!!

pollykraker 10-23-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afr0byte
Your beer may have gotten two warm, pitching at 70 degrees. If this is the case then some of the flavor will age out, but probably not all of it.

Pitched at 70... But has fermented @ 64-68 the whole time.... Gravity still has some movement needed.... But no active signs... Krausen has gone away.. no bubbles in airlock...

pollykraker 10-23-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltont
Just let it ride. Every time you open the fermenter you open the door for an infection. As long as I know fermentation took off I never check my Ales until week 3, Lagers week 4. Cheers!!!

Word. Prob will let it set til week 3. Should I leave temp @ 64-66 ?

afr0byte 10-23-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollykraker (Post 4525613)
Pitched at 70... But has fermented @ 64-68 the whole time.... Gravity still has some movement needed.... But no active signs... Krausen has gone away.. no bubbles in airlock...

Is the 64-68 ambient temperature or wort temperature? If it's ambient then the temperature could have gotten 5-10 degrees warmer than 64-68. Also, how long did it take to get down to 64-68 from 70?

pollykraker 10-24-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afr0byte

Is the 64-68 ambient temperature or wort temperature? If it's ambient then the temperature could have gotten 5-10 degrees warmer than 64-68. Also, how long did it take to get down to 64-68 from 70?

Wort. Using swamp cooler. Water temp was about 60 ... Wort was measuring 64-68 at max

2nd don't fully remember... That's the one thing I didn't write down... Wouldn't have been too long . Worse if it took long or worse if it changed quickly

afr0byte 10-24-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollykraker (Post 4525945)
Wort. Using swamp cooler. Water temp was about 60 ... Wort was measuring 64-68 at max

2nd don't fully remember... That's the one thing I didn't write down... Wouldn't have been too long . Worse if it took long or worse if it changed quickly

Worse if it took longer. It doesn't sound like this is a situation where you'd get a strong alcohol flavor, so it's strange.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.