*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stressing Yeasts For Flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
DirkDiggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stressing Yeasts For Flavors

I'm going to be brewing a wit and hefe soon and was wondering if I should make a starter for them. I'm going to be using White Labs yeast for each of them. I've heard some of the stresses put on the yeast by the underpitching can help to produce esters, which may not be a bad thing for these styles. What do you think about this? Would I ruin it without a starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You won't ruin either of these without a starter, but if the OG is over 1.060 a starter is a very good idea. Since each yeast has been selected for the style, you don't need to stress them to get the expected esters.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For my wit, I do a 1L starter the morning of brew day and pitch it into the beer about 8 hours later. This is definitely better than pitching direct from the tube since the yeast will be active and there will be some growth which reduces the lag time considerably.

Another thing that will help improve ester production is to do an open fermentation. In a bucket you can accomplish this by simply putting a solid bung in the airlock hole and loosely fitting the lid over the fermenter. In a carboy, just cover the neck with aluminum foil. Once fermentation slows, affix an airlock as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

do not underpitch. More damage can be done from underpitching then can be gained. Pitch the proper amount and the yeast will make great beer.

If you really want to mess with ester production use the fermentation temp. Wheat yeasts do all sort of different things at different temps. ferment one at 66, one at 70, and one at 74 and you will have 3 very different ester profiles. I think most people prefer the colder fermentation.

Quick Reply