Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strange Yeast/Sediment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
jazzyfool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strange Yeast/Sediment?

So this is my 5th All-Grain Batch - an Amarillo IPA and my first one with Irish Moss. I added about a half-teaspoon (doing 1 gallon batches for now) 15 minutes left in the boil and used S-04 yeast.

Now about 6 hours after I put it into the carboy theres some strange strange sort of bloom floating around that I honestly haven't seen before in my previous 4 batches.

Is this some reaction from the Irish Moss? Bad Yeast? Or am I freaking out and need to RDWHAHB?

Attached image of strange floaties...

photo.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

First, there's no way anything that large grew in the carboy within 6 hours. Just looks like coagulated junk. Second, I would be more worried about the alternate gravity that allows your leg to sit sideways without spilling.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I've seen something similar from S-04 and other "British yeasts, although not on that scale. It's more likely to be flocc'd yeast & trub than a side effect of Irish moss, IMO. I'd say RDWHAHB, you're good to go!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
mradicsh
Recipes 

I just did a 1 gallon batch using S-04 and have the same exact monster in my jug. This is my second time using s-04 and had the same thing happen on the first batch as well. It will eventually all just fall and flatten out on the bottom like you would expect.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Do you dump the entire contents of the kettle into the 1 gallon jug? Looks like break material.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like break material. Also, I usually use 1 teaspoon of irish moss for five gallons, 0.5 teaspoon for one gallon was probably overkill and will result in really pillowy break and yeast sediment. It should settle out for you eventually but it doesn't ever compact as nicely. Next time cut down on the amount of irish moss also try to chill quicker and keep more of the cold break out of the fermenter. Your beer is going to be fine.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
jazzyfool
Recipes 

Well this helps me feel better. Im still kind of figuring out the different breaks (hot/cold).

I poured all from my kettle through funnel/strainer combo into the carboy. Unfortunately the strainer gets plugged so quickly I have to lift it out and some sediment gets through to the carboy.

I'll use less Irish moss next time - is there a way to remove the cold break or distinguish it from hop sediment when chilling?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyfool View Post
Well this helps me feel better. Im still kind of figuring out the different breaks (hot/cold).

I poured all from my kettle through funnel/strainer combo into the carboy. Unfortunately the strainer gets plugged so quickly I have to lift it out and some sediment gets through to the carboy.

I'll use less Irish moss next time - is there a way to remove the cold break or distinguish it from hop sediment when chilling?
Actually, it sounds crazy but it's fine! The more cold break you have, the clearer your beer will be in the end. That break material will all fall down into the trub and compact, especially since you used so4 which forms a tightly compacted trub layer, and you'll have super clear beer in the end.

In other words, you did good!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
jazzyfool
Recipes 

Update on Tuesday 2/14 after brewing on Friday 2/10.

Strangest Krausen I've ever seen - a lot got into the blowoff tube which is new for me so it must've been really vigorous. The trub starting to form at the bottom looks like little cheese curds - strange stuff.

Must say the beer is really freaking clear for this early in fermentation - don't know whether to attribute that to the Irish Moss/yeast/cold break proteins.

Still look normal to everyone?

photo.jpg  

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
jerryboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Looks ok to me, Newb opinion.

Quick Reply