Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Strange smelling fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
RyanN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I took a sample out to give it a try but the smell is so strong I cannot bring myself to taste it. I would describe the smell as a plastic medicinal chemical smell....I can't really describe it exactly. It kind of burns your nose when you take a sniff. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm smelling and the possible causes of it?

I don't think this is savable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Taste it. Pinch your nose if you have to, but taste it. Don't write it off before you have at least took a taste. My witbier smelled like roadkill filled with rotten eggs and had a similar milky appearance due to the yeast.

The smell is now gone and the beer is quite tasty.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
HH60gunner
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Worst case scenario you bottle it and throw it in a closet and take it out months later to see if flavor and smell have improved.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
RyanN
Recipes 

At some point this weekend I may force myself to try this but I'm imagining it tasting like....horrible chemical rubbery liquid. I just can't imagine this turning out well. Thinking about the smell makes my stomach turn. My best guess is that this beer was infected by wild yeast.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #15
YeastFarmerBeemer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
At some point this weekend I may force myself to try this but I'm imagining it tasting like....horrible chemical rubbery liquid. I just can't imagine this turning out well. Thinking about the smell makes my stomach turn. My best guess is that this beer was infected by wild yeast.
I don't think a wild yeast would make it smell really bad, slightly off at most. I am currently stepping up a wild yeast that I harvested from apples off our backyard tree and it smells like yeast (well actually it is starting to smell like yeasty cider since I used apple juice for the last 2 step ups).
Also the smell "burning your nose" could be co2.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastFarmerBeemer View Post
I don't think a wild yeast would make it smell really bad, slightly off at most. I am currently stepping up a wild yeast that I harvested from apples off our backyard tree and it smells like yeast (well actually it is starting to smell like yeasty cider since I used apple juice for the last 2 step ups).
Also the smell "burning your nose" could be co2.
You have all different kinds of wild yeasts. The ones found on fruit are usually pretty nice and clean from what I've read: someone here even cultivated the yeast from juniper berries.

It's the airborne, "living by the highway in a tiny appartment", kind of yeast that can mess a good brew. But that's just speculation since we don't even know if something other than yeast has been getting its funk on in OP's beer.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
I took a sample out to give it a try but the smell is so strong I cannot bring myself to taste it. I would describe the smell as a plastic medicinal chemical smell....I can't really describe it exactly. It kind of burns your nose when you take a sniff. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm smelling and the possible causes of it?

I don't think this is savable.
You are describing chlorophenols there if your description is correct. Did you sanitzie with bleach? If it is chlorophenols then it is not an infection and you cannot get rid of it by aging. However, give it time to be sure. The nose burning could be from getting a hit of CO2 like someone else suggested.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
RyanN
Recipes 

I do not sanitize with bleach and the water I use is filtered so there should not be any chlorine. I'll see how this looks in a week....maybe I'll taste it then?

Quick Reply